News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

103 year old Orca spotted

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2014, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2014, 11:19:56 PM
Convincing. But hey if you think the best way to get people to care about marine life is to make sure they never see any marine life - carry on.
1.5 million people visited the National Aquarium in Baltimore last year;  my niece's Girl Scout troop had an overnight camping and  learning event there last month.
None of the animals were required to perform, nor were they intelligent enough to suffer from it.

There are plenty of options out there to learn about marine life without engaging in acts of cruelty to do it.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

PRC

Quote from: Jaron on May 14, 2014, 11:36:18 PM
Whale watching!

Whale watching in the wild is a great time and a legitimate tourism activity.  Huge business in Victoria, BC and Washington State and a lot of fun... or were you talking about your love life?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 11:11:31 PM
All orcas should be freed from captivity.  The fact that Ideologue hates them with the passion of a Japanese fisherman would be enough, let alone the cruelty of circus abuse.

I do not, I find their existence morally problematic--not unlike humans.  I think humans should be free or die too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jaron

Quote from: PRC on May 14, 2014, 11:38:46 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 14, 2014, 11:36:18 PM
Whale watching!

Whale watching in the wild is a great time and a legitimate tourism activity.  Huge business in Victoria, BC and Washington State and a lot of fun... or were you talking about your love life?

:hmm:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 11:31:33 PM
1.5 million people visited the National Aquarium in Baltimore last year;  my niece's Girl Scout troop had an overnight camping and  learning event there last month.
None of the animals were required to perform, nor were they intelligent enough to suffer from it.

There are plenty of options out there to learn about marine life without engaging in acts of cruelty to do it.

I concur 100%

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I visited the Baltimore Aquarium while I was over there and I thought it was a great place. As CdM said, you can educate children without circus shows. To be frank, I find the whole "we need animals to do cute tricks for kids to love them" notion a bit short-sighted.

The Barcelona Zoo have announced that they will discontinue dolphin shows in 2017. Heck, we even had an orca in captivity until a decade ago (in woefully inadequate facilities for a beast her size), so I'm happy to see we're slowly getting with the times.

The Larch

SeaWorld has been under a lot of criticism for years, and a documentary released last year called Blackfish about orcas in captivity has exacerbated this. Pixar even changed the ending for its upcoming Finding Nemo sequel after John Lasseter saw it, and lots of bands that were going to perform at their parks cancelled their scheduled concerts. California and NY are currently considering a ban on keeping orcas in captivity.

Ideologue

And people say The Act of Killing was the year's best documentary.  Or did Indonesia stop being a corrupt hellhole yet?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2014, 11:19:56 PM
Convincing. But hey if you think the best way to get people to care about marine life is to make sure they never see any marine life - carry on.

Really I recall watching a seal show at the Boston Aquarium.

But then that was sort of my point. There are other parts of SeaWorld than the animal shows.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2014, 02:08:49 AM
I visited the Baltimore Aquarium while I was over there and I thought it was a great place. As CdM said, you can educate children without circus shows. To be frank, I find the whole "we need animals to do cute tricks for kids to love them" notion a bit short-sighted.

Well do have fun demolishing that strawman. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Finally, an animal thread where Seedy is right instead of defending the ultimate evil of Felines.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 15, 2014, 04:53:49 AM
SeaWorld has been under a lot of criticism for years, and a documentary released last year called Blackfish about orcas in captivity has exacerbated this. Pixar even changed the ending for its upcoming Finding Nemo sequel after John Lasseter saw it, and lots of bands that were going to perform at their parks cancelled their scheduled concerts. California and NY are currently considering a ban on keeping orcas in captivity.
That's a pretty good documentary.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2014, 06:41:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2014, 02:08:49 AM

Well do have fun demolishing that strawman. :)

What strawman? I wasn't particularly arguing against you, just agreeing on what CdM said. There's really no need to engage in animal cruelty to put up a marine institution that will attract visitors and educate.

The Barcelona Aquarium beats the Barcelona Zoo in attendance and it doesn't have all the dog and pony shows.