News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reading

Started by Sheilbh, April 28, 2014, 05:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What proportion of fiction and non-fiction do you read?

No fiction; all non-fiction
1 (2.6%)
1/4 fiction; 3/4 non-fiction
12 (30.8%)
50-50
15 (38.5%)
3/4 fiction; 1/4 non-fiction
11 (28.2%)
All fiction; no non-fiction
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

MadImmortalMan

Just about everything I can get my hands on. So 50-50.

When I was a kid, my mom had a box of books that some friend gave her to use in the library book sale. She stored the box in my bedroom while waiting for the sale to come along. Apparently, the friend was pretty much into fantasy and sci-fi sexy fiction. I read about half of them before my mom figured out what they were and stopped me.

I remember some of them still but I have no idea what the titles were. One was about some queen of Atlantis that liked to have naked slaves everywhere and punished people by burying them alive and building an obelisk on top. Another was about some people who lived on Mars and the style of Mars was to always go topless. They had a lot of sex too.

The book she gave me to read after taking those away was Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies. It has no sex. Or furries.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

I dunno.  Last novel I read all the way through was The Map and the Territory, about three years ago.  It soured me on the whole thing.

To the extent I read books, it's mainly non-fiction these days.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

I don't read anymore, but usually fiction when I do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

When it comes down to books, I mostly read fiction. Most of the nonfiction I read are books about film and screenwriting. I do read the occasional history book, but I admit not as often as I used to.

The underlying issue is that I'm too obsessed with the notion that everything I read has to, somehow, be "useful". I read fiction books because I'm a writer, and you can always learn (or rip off) from a good book. And I read film/TV books because that's my trade. I need to flip that switch off and start reading for pure enjoyment/general edification.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2014, 05:11:57 PM
3/4 non-fiction I guess.

Me too.  I prefer to read non-fiction, but I'm loyal to some specific writers; for the most part I prefer short story collections, anthologies and the occasional well-reviewed work when it comes to fiction.

Besides, it's hard to catch up with new fiction when there are still so many classics to read first.

MadImmortalMan

Nothing wrong with reading purely as a sleep aid.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2014, 07:23:49 PM

Dear Penthouse Forum,

I've been an avid reader for some time, but I never thought I would be writing to you...

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2014, 07:25:30 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2014, 07:23:49 PM

Dear Penthouse Forum,

I've been an avid reader for some time, but I never thought I would be writing to you...

Very few actual letters to Penthouse actually begin like that.

CountDeMoney

It's my letter and I'll write it the way I want, so fuck off.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
It's my letter and I'll write it the way I want, so fuck off.

Oh, it's you writing.  Well maybe that's the wrong venue then. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

where's the i don't read them books option  :mad:

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
Besides, it's hard to catch up with new fiction when there are still so many classics to read first.
Almost all of my fiction reading are classics. I very rarely read new fiction unless it's something trashy when I'm just looking to switch off.

I was thinking recently that this is probably the biggest difference the Kindle's made to my reading habits. The number of free books available means I'm very Victorian in my novel reading now.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

My split comes in at about 42% to 36%
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

My fiction reading has declined rapidly in the past few years.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2014, 08:37:06 PM
My fiction reading has declined rapidly in the past few years.

Mine has skyrocketed with my insomnia.

Because knocking yourself out with booze should only be an occasional thing.