Canadian Military Too Small To Ensure Domestic Security

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2014, 12:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 02:34:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 11:25:09 AM
Really?  What is Canada's military specialty that it is in charge of, either in the Sense of a Canadian-American alliance or within NATO?

NORAD - at least every other day  ;)

So, in other words, Canada doesn't have one.  I suppose it is possible to believe that the Canadian forces should be doing exactly nothing that is unique to Canada.  As Malthus says, that's the safe thing, and your disagreement with him appears to stem from the desire to say "I disagree" rather than from any actual disagreement.

:lol:

If you want to introduce the word "unique" into the debate to win the internet argument go ahead. 

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 03:21:00 PM
If you want to introduce the word "unique" into the debate to win the internet argument go ahead. 

Since you've already accepted "some speciality [sic] that we could take charge of," why not go ahead and say it is something unique?  Two people can't take charge of the same thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 01:07:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2014, 12:00:16 PM
Last year the norwegian chief of staff said that the norwegian army was incapable of holding and defending oslo.

Nothing has really changed since 1940 then.
It worked out so well for them that time...

Norway only exists because it wasn't worth taking before the industrial age and nowadays we're too civilized to smash them up and grab their oil. Well, Russia's not, but they're held back by the West.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Why does Canada need a military for domestic security?  They have police to do that.  Canada only two neighbors one both of which is allied with Canada.  One has a military Canada couldn't hope to beat even if they reintroduced conscription and the other doesn't have military or a population to speak of.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
I think you are vastly underestimating how close we all live to the US border.

No, I'm vastly underestimating how accurate Russian ICBMs are.  Say goodbye to Saskatchewan with the warhead originally planned for San Antonio.

MadImmortalMan

NORAD facilities in Winnipeg and Cold Lake methinks would be targets regardless. Plus Ottawa and Toronto at least.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Depends on the severity and extent of the exchange.  I just hope one lands on Neil's goofy ass.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2014, 07:17:16 PM
No, I'm vastly underestimating how accurate Russian ICBMs are.  Say goodbye to Saskatchewan with the warhead originally planned for San Antonio.

:cool:  I'll be a survivor!

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2014, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
I think you are vastly underestimating how close we all live to the US border.

There is no need for Russians to launch a warhead at San Antonio, as I expect Oklahoma City to frag them in the first moves of the war.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Please.  Their suicide mobile home meth labs won't make it past the border and Kevin Durant will immediately defect.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2014, 08:16:26 PM
There is no need for Russians to launch a warhead at San Antonio, as I expect Oklahoma City to frag them in the first moves of the war.

Brooke Army Medical Center is the US Army's only Burn Center and Level 1 Trauma Center in the continental United States.  Its facilities and personnel are primary targets in degrading the US Army's ability to deal with post-strike troop casualties.

Edit:  douchebag.