Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force?

Yes
14 (35.9%)
No
25 (64.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2014, 01:24:11 PM
Oh for fucksake stop bringing up counter points that are not.  I am not talking about mutually negotiated separations I was talking about unilateral secessions.  What sense would it make to agree to a separation and then send in the troops?  I guess what if the secession vote in Scotland fails but the SNP goes insane and just declares independence anyway with a fanatical but minority of supporters.  Should the UK resist at all?

That's a kind of dumb scenario.

But here's a more interesting scenario - what if Scotland holds a referendum on independence and there is a "yes".  The UK  then prepares to negotiate the terms of seccession, but Scotland makes a Unilateral Declaration of Independence and claims ownership of all UK-owned facilites and property located within Scotland.

Should the UK resist in that scenario?

I asm because that was apparently Parizeau's plan after a yes vote in 1995...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2014, 02:46:14 PM
You seem agitated today.

No more than usual.  I am in a constant state of fatigue these days so that contributes.

QuoteThat's kind of weird then... because the question was brought on by the Scottish referendum, where even if the UK doesn't desire to see Scotland leave, the secession will seemingly be dealt with through negotiation; same as Quebec, and it seems Catalonia as well. In a democratic society

Except the question specifically said that a peaceful solution cannot be reached.  The UK already agreed that Scotland could leave, hence the referendum.  If they did not agree, and thought the referendum was illegitimate, they would certainly not be campaigning to influence the vote.

QuoteExactly. Which is (one of the reasons) why the question Tim posed is so daft.

Yes I think we covered that earlier.  The circumstances that Tim outlined have perhaps never happened before.

QuoteOf course. But that's not what's going to happen, nor is it what's being discussed. As I understand Tim's question - based on the thread that spawned it - it is "refuse separation in any circumstances, up to and including the use of military force - yes/no

No one is arguing that the use of military force is always justified in all possible scenarios involving separatism.

... the fact that distinction is unclear, is (another) reason why the question Tim posed is so daft.

Well yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2014, 03:35:58 PM
That's a kind of dumb scenario.

But here's a more interesting scenario - what if Scotland holds a referendum on independence and there is a "yes".  The UK  then prepares to negotiate the terms of seccession, but Scotland makes a Unilateral Declaration of Independence and claims ownership of all UK-owned facilites and property located within Scotland.

I asm because that was apparently Parizeau's plan after a yes vote in 1995...

I was thinking a bit about the Quebec vote in 1995 where the plan seems to be if it is 50.000000001% yes than to seize everything and have France recognize Quebec since Canada seemed to understand the terms required a 60% vote or, at the very least, the specifics of situation were never agreed upon by all parties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

That is, indeed, the interesting question.  In a sense, it's the Crimean scenario.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2014, 03:43:54 PM

That is, indeed, the interesting question.  In a sense, it's the Crimean scenario.

Not quite - in Crimea the vote was hardly free or fair and there were no outside observers.

In Quebec there was a horribly confusing question, but the vote itself appeared to be free and fair and there were vigorous campaigns both in favour and opposed.

The 1995 Quebec question: Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995? :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

that depends...

if the seceders are doing so to avoid following the democratically enacted laws of the land (e.g. laws banning slavery) then I'm in favor of using force
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2014, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2014, 12:56:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2014, 12:53:24 PM
The American Civil War is pretty unique in that the suppression of secession was actually a good thing.
Some days I'm not sure that's the case.  The South, especially the deep part, is still a festering sore that hobbles the country politically to this day.

This is true, but we've also civilized the South to some degree, left on their own they would be a world class tyranny.
Yes, but it would be self-contained.

It would seem inhuman to allow such a blatant abuser of human rights right next door.  Besides, they'd probably try to spread their taint like they did in the filibuster era.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

MadImmortalMan

It seems likely to me that their situation was unsustainable anyway. They would have collapsed, slavery would have ended and they would not have the north to blame.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2014, 04:42:55 PM
It seems likely to me that their situation was unsustainable anyway. They would have collapsed, slavery would have ended and they would not have the north to blame.

They had a plan.  After they achieved Independence they were going to go a'conquerin to get more land for slavery in the Caribbean and Central America.  Another thing they found out during the war is that slavery is actually great for industrial production so don't think slavery was not going to be used for new and exciting applications.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2014, 04:31:08 PM
It would seem inhuman to allow such a blatant abuser of human rights right next door.
As opposed to having them within your own four walls?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2014, 04:50:24 PM
It would seem inhuman to allow such a blatant abuser of human rights right next door.

You need to watch us before we enslave again!

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2014, 04:42:55 PM

It was sustainable, they had sustained it for a long time.  It was quite profitable, and was more profitable then the share cropping arrangements that occurred afterword.  It would be similar to the banana republics of South America.  The only way the elites were going to get rid of slavery was through force, either a rebellion from below, or government intervention from above, or possibly from an outside force invading.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

You need to watch us before we enslave again!

Yeah, I mean it's not like absent federal restrictions southern states would start creating more voting restrictions.

Razgovory

It is our sad and solemn duty to protect the world from the South.