News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Started by Syt, April 12, 2014, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Another thing that doesn't work from the UI perspective is the tech spider web.  From the middle of the game on, it becomes very easy to miss an obvious tech to research, and you have to scroll around to see all the options.  That's tedious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2014, 06:31:40 PM
Another thing that doesn't work from the UI perspective is the tech spider web.  From the middle of the game on, it becomes very easy to miss an obvious tech to research, and you have to scroll around to see all the options.  That's tedious.

I agree. Also I wish there was a simple way to find the tech that gives the improvement stated in the quests/victory conditions.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2014, 06:38:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

I agree. Also I wish there was a simple way to find the tech that gives the improvement stated in the quests/victory conditions.
You can do it by typing something into the search window in the tech web.

Fate

This game is almost nothing like Alpha Centauri. I don't have any inclination to play a second round.

garbon

Quote from: Fate on October 29, 2014, 01:35:26 PM
This game is almost nothing like Alpha Centauri. I don't have any inclination to play a second round.

Guess it is good that they didn't label it "Civilization: Alpha Centauri" or "Alpha Centauri II". ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2014, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: Fate on October 29, 2014, 01:35:26 PM

Guess it is good that they didn't label it "Civilization: Alpha Centauri" or "Alpha Centauri II". ;)

:lol:

Syt

Nearing the end game of my second playthrough (Purity ARC).

I hope they nerf trade routes. With up to three routes per city, and some virtues and enhancements further buffing the profits, it's a bit easy to plunk down as many cities as possible and rush trade depots in order to roll in cash (which you then invest in health) and science points.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I heard some guy won at the highest difficulty domination victory as ARC without declaring a single war - he just flipped everybody's capitals with covert ops.  :cool:

Syt

I'm enjoying my time with the game, but I think after I finish this (and maybe one more) game, I will wait for some balancing patches.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

From Firaxis:

QuoteSince we launched Civilization: Beyond Earth on the 24th, we've received reports that some of you are having technical issues with the game, in addition to some well thought out feedback on possible balance improvements. We thank you for your feedback and we want to let you know that the team is working on an update to address some of the issues people are experiencing in the game, as well as continuing to make improvements to gameplay and balance overall.

Here is a list of technical issues we are looking to address – (please know this list is not all inclusive and we will continue to track and research issues that are reported).

[ENGINE]
- Correcting screen resolution problems, particularly related to the 144hz refresh rate full-screen (or lack of full-screen) issue.
- Investigating a start-up problem where the game shuts down with an error immediately following the opening movie.
- Investigating crash issues submitted by users, and through Steam crash reporting.
- Adding an in-game option to disable depth of field effect for players that prefer the game without this.
[UI]
- Ongoing updates to in-game text, tool-tips, etc.
- Correcting an issue where actions could be missing from embarked workers (like repairing a pillaged water improvement)
- Adding "Completed" section to city production menu so players know what they just finished.
- Adding advanced touch controls, gesture support, pen support.
[ACHIEVEMENTS]
- Achievements not firing if Max Turns was set in previous games. Also investigating some other possible causes.
[MODDING]
- Fixing 2D leader fall-back image support for all graphics quality settings
[MULTIPLAYER]
- Investigating reports of potential multiplayer stability issues

There are also other bugs under investigation. If you're working with 2K Support, and sending along savegames or dxdiag files, that information is coming directly to Firaxis as well and will help us out. We'll provide additional details on bugfixes as we verify and correct them.

As you saw during the lead-up to launch, we continue to iterate on design through development (remember the station Adept Blue? It got nerfed a month before launch). As we have done in the past, we will continue to iterate and address issues after launch as well. Our players' feedback on balance drives the design team's goals for the game. We'll have more information on the balance changes as the design team has a chance to evaluate and implement your feedback.

We'll also let you know more about the timing of the upcoming patch as we assemble more information. Thanks for your patience and continuing dialog with us as we continue to support Beyond Earth.

-The Firaxis Games Beyond Earth development team
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 04:11:32 AM
I heard some guy won at the highest difficulty domination victory as ARC without declaring a single war - he just flipped everybody's capitals with covert ops.  :cool:

Yeah, the trade and espionage aspects are definitely op.  I have played through twice now on hard without having to fight a war.  Once I couped my way to victory - dead easy.  The next I siphoned off research and tech points to get to the planet mind victory.

I tried going the military route with the third game but it was suboptimal to say the least.

Valmy

Well that's a pity.  One of the things that annoyed me about Civ was that it was a bit too easy just build yourself up and win and everybody would just let you win.  Once the other Civs realized you were in the lead and building towards victory they should have been desperately hammering you down.  Silly really.  It is like playing a computer football game where the AI just takes a knee on every possession and lets you beat it 3-0 every time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 11:35:32 AM
Well that's a pity.  One of the things that annoyed me about Civ was that it was a bit too easy just build yourself up and win and everybody would just let you win.  Once the other Civs realized you were in the lead and building towards victory they should have been desperately hammering you down.  Silly really.  It is like playing a computer football game where the AI just takes a knee on every possession and lets you beat it 3-0 every time.

Agreed.  All the AI factions begin the game with the mind set of being peaceful alien lovers.  They all get upset if you attack aliens for example.  It would be better if some of the factions started out with a militaristic outlook.

Darth Wagtaros

ARC at least should look at them as a resource to be exploited, or removed. 
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 31, 2014, 01:30:57 PM
ARC at least should look at them as a resource to be exploited, or removed.

The most obvious is the Brazilians with their melee bonus.