Pulp's "Common People" named best britpop song.

Started by The Larch, April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jacob on April 14, 2014, 12:23:27 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Hmm, never thought of it that way.  I don't know Britpop well enough, but there was certainly a general media glamorization in the form of "lad culture" (mk. 1), wasn't there?

I don't think it was mk. 1 when it comes to the glamorization of "lad culture". I mean, in many ways working class youths in Britain seem to serve the same cultural function as Black subcultures do in the US - as a font of co-optable creativity and "authenticity". If you look at any of the distinct subcultures coming out of Britain in the last fifty years at least, most of them came from working class youths, most of them had laddish qualities to them, and most of them were glamorized in various ways as they grew in popularity.

By mk. 1 I just meant the phrase "lad culture" itself, since my recollection is that it went away for a while and then got picked back up again within the last few years.  Otherwise, I agree with your analysis.  "Lad culture" seemed to refer to something a little more generalized than the various working-class youth-derived subcultures that have waxed and waned in post-WWII British pop culture, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

Josquius

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2014, 09:48:09 AMI know a lot of working class lads who've shagged way above their station by being the only ones in the pub to chat up the foreign chicks.

Well sure, but did said lads take said foreign birds along to Tesco's to show them what 99p frozen pies look like while making their way back to bed? :P

They love that sort of thing.

QuoteAs much as I'm a class warrior, I kind of think "Common People" is, lyrically, a supreme cheap shot (Spoiled students? Check. Continental eurotrash? Check. Clueless posers? Check.), as well as a supremely fanciful narrative.  Maybe Britain is really like this, I don't know, but a pampered aristocratic lady buying drinks for a working-class hunk in a pub and then asking him to take her around and show her what it's like to be not-rich and probably lay her a few times along the way... strains credibility for me.

And if it's fanciful, it does hark back to some great cultural touchstones ("Lady Chatterly's Lover," Angry Young Men/kitchen-sink dramas), but it's not a fantasy I find all that engaging.

I recall a documentary about the different class album. Jarvis cocker said it was loosely based on a true a story, though he didn't sleep with her. Iirc they even interviewed the actual Greek lady.
The song really speaks to me, the whole thing about it all being a game for upper class posers but for us born into it there is a genuine risk that our lives can just slide out of view.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

My last relationship was pretty much "lady of rich family messing with the working class to see how it's like to drink in seedy bars", so there' still something to the cliché.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2014, 02:38:49 AM
My last relationship was pretty much "lady of rich family messing with the working class to see how it's like to drink in seedy bars", so there' still something to the cliché.

A miilion voices cried out in pain and were suddenly silenced :weep:

Warspite

I want to write a song about being from a highly educated family of modest means so you're stuck between the mannerisms of the well off and the resources of the poor, which seems to earn the contempt of people above, below and around you. I could call it 'Uncommon People' and make millions.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

Quote from: Monoriu on April 15, 2014, 03:07:19 AM

Butchering the language is the only violence I allow myself.

Richard Hakluyt

Back in my coal-mining days my best mate was at Durham University; during term time I used to go over there for intelligent conversation and women. I can confirm that, at least in the 1970s, southern middle-class women were pretty interested in working-class men, happy days  :cool:

Syt

I imagine having a coal miner's physique helped a bit, too. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2014, 03:54:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 15, 2014, 03:07:19 AM

Butchering the language is the only violence I allow myself.

I'll be very happy if any languishite marries a rich woman.  I'm just a little sad that the opportunity was lost. 

celedhring

Was never meant to happen, after she had fun with the popular classes she's gone back to where she belongs. She's currently dating an executive from a pharma company.

Warspite

If you want to marry a rich woman, come to London and date a lawyer. This has the added advantage that they'll be so busy that you'll never have to actually spend time with them, allowing ample opportunity to pursue one's own interests, such as drinking with the guys or starting a synth-based electro-pop group.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

PDH

The down side is, of course, being married to a lawyer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Warspite on April 15, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
If you want to marry a rich woman, come to London and date a lawyer. This has the added advantage that they'll be so busy that you'll never have to actually spend time with them, allowing ample opportunity to pursue one's own interests, such as drinking with the guys or starting a synth-based electro-pop group.

Do you have some news you want to share? :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on April 15, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
:hmm:
-dating
-London
+drinking
+synth-based electro-pop
██████
██████
██████