News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The New Norm.

Started by mongers, March 27, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Once he was the exception in a bar, now Norm is the new normal.

Overweight seen as the norm, says chief medical officer

By Nick Triggle
Health correspondent, BBC News

Being overweight is increasingly seen as the norm, England's chief medical officer says.

In her annual report on the state of health, Dame Sally Davies said this was concerning, pointing out many people did not recognise they had a problem.

Parents of overweight children were also failing to spot the signs too, she said.

Dame Sally blamed the way weight was being portrayed by the media and clothes industry.

"I have long been concerned that being underweight is often portrayed as the ideal weight, particularly in the fashion industry.

"Yet I am increasingly concerned that society may be normalising being overweight.

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26765078
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I'm surprised that it's a new trend? I would have thought the UK was heading that way long before now, even if they haven't caught up to the US trend.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 28, 2014, 10:20:38 AM
I'm surprised that it's a new trend? I would have thought the UK was heading that way long before now, even if they haven't caught up to the US trend.

Yeah welcome to 1985 Britain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

I blame all these "fat programmes" that let us sit on our arses watching them and saying, "At least I'm not as bad as that." I'm particularly partial to watching Secret Eaters with a glass of wine and a bowl of peanuts.

LaCroix

overweight might be the norm, but it's certainly not considered the ideal (by most)

Razgovory

I blame Weird Al Yankovic for equating cool with fat with his hit song, "Eat it!" and "Fat".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 11:01:24 AM
I blame Weird Al Yankovic for equating cool with fat with his hit song, "Eat it!" and "Fat".

Weird Al is the opposite of cool, by design.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

I think people just don't care anymore what anyone says or thinks about their weight. At a certain point, I'd think you'd go, "Yep. I'm fat. I like Ho-Hos. Now get out of my way so I can watch my TV show."

Losing weight takes effort. Most people are lazy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

When everyone is fat there's less pressure to get thin. Shagging a lardo is the only way. Everyone wins. Except the NHS.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus