College athletes can unionize, federal agency says

Started by jimmy olsen, March 27, 2014, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

I hear you, but I just don't think even AD would have been able to hold up right after high school. Now, if the argument really is *only* 'can he contribute' well then sure. A whole shit load of HS and college athletes could contribute in some way. This doesn't mean they're ready to be a regular NFL player on a regular NFL roster though. There aren't enough slots to hand them out to guys who can play 5 games a season, no matter what the dumbshit Texans front office has done in the past. 

Amobi only played for Houston that long because his contract made it hard to get rid of him iirc. He was pretty ineffective most of the time. Nice guy by all accounts though.

Neil

AP was getting all those carries against creampuff NCAA 'defences', not powerful NFL defences.

Okoye had the advantage of playing a low-impact position.  He was ineffective and constantly defeated, so I'm not sure if that helps your case at all.  A guy playing RB and getting teed off on by defenders would have a much rougher ride than a guy who is just getting manhandled by offensive guards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

No, the Nigerian Nightmare was like 26 when he got drafted.  Amobi Akoye was the was the youngest first-round pick ever, and he was a bust.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2014, 05:27:49 PM

Fuck MBM, this is football. The average NFL career is between 3.5 and 6 years, depending whether you listen to the league or players association. It is a brutal sport that beats people down.

Careers aren't short because of the brutality of the sport--they're short because after 3 years or so, if you're not a star, they can replace you with a younger player who is just as good but cheaper.  I've never seen comparable stats for the NBA or MLB, but I bet the average career there (and in the NHL and MLS as well) is about the same length as in the NFL.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
I just want college football to be like it was in the 80s :mellow:

Yeah, back in the 80s players didn't have to spend 60 hours a week on football.  Hell, if guys like Schembechler or Dooley had known that players today would be spending 80 hours a week on football, they'd spin in their graves, and they'd be right.  There is no reason why someone who is a college student should be spending 100 hours a week on football.  Now that players can form unions, at least at private schools, they can negotiate their 120-hours-a-week football requirements down to something more reasonable; the current 140 hours a week just isn't reasonable by any standard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!