Started by jimmy olsen, March 27, 2014, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 01:29:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2014, 01:25:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
[Certainly not at Northwestern.

Certainly?

97% graduate. I'd *certainly* say something is being done to educate them.

Well that must be the source of Northwestern's problems.  If they'd left their students dumb and uneducated, they wouldn't know enough to go and unionize themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 12:41:39 PM
Correct.  But that leaves a lot of room to discuss what those rules and frameworks should be.
Something like an NCAA is needed, but not necessarily the NCAA we have.

There is a world of difference between "a lot of room to discuss what those rules and frameworks should be" and "Death to the NCAA!!111."  What would you change about the NCAA we now have?  Not the rules and frameworks 9those have changed many times over the lifespan of the NCAA), but the NCAA itself?  Would you put someone other than university presidents in charge of it?  Would you make it a for-profit entity?  What?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 01:29:05 PM
97% graduate. I'd *certainly* say something is being done to educate them.

Your certainty is misplaced.  That 97% is just football GSR.  GSR is an NCAA standard, and Minsky wants to kill the NCAA, so NCAA stats can't mean anything.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The NCAA GSR is indeed a statistic designed to flatter.  That is not to say it is inaccurate but it is a way of presenting the data that looks more favorable  Independent studies like the AGG report rather different results.

As it happens Northwestern ranks #1 in GSR.  Assuming they are applying rigorous and consistent standards for graduation, that says good things about Northwestern and their athletics program.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Iormlund

I've never really understood the US system. Why don't professional clubs simply hire high school kids?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Iormlund on March 27, 2014, 06:43:27 PM
I've never really understood the US system. Why don't professional clubs simply hire high school kids?

NFL doesn't allow it. NBA doesn't anymore. I think.

MLB, you can be drafted out of high school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Because they don't want to.  The pro game grew out of the college game, and the pros never saw a need to create a training league when they could just force the colleges to undertake the player training, and then skim off the best college players.  I don'[t think you'd find much public resistance to forcing the pros to have their own development league, or at least to providing a means bar college for kids to develop and demonstrate their skills.

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

I can understand that attitude coming from clubs with a big wallet. They can get the best of an already proven group. But what's in it for the small clubs? The only way they can compete is finding talent before the big ones. Otherwise they will always be left with the leftovers.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on March 27, 2014, 07:18:16 PM
I can understand that attitude coming from clubs with a big wallet. They can get the best of an already proven group. But what's in it for the small clubs? The only way they can compete is finding talent before the big ones. Otherwise they will always be left with the leftovers.
That's not how it works here though. All four major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL) use a draft. The worst team gets to pick first and the best team picks last. It's a little more complicated in the NBA then that, but the aim is the same, to provide an equal playing field with regards to the aquisition of new talent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Since this is mostly about football, it is also worth pointing out that high school football players simply aren't physically ready for pro football with a very few exceptions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 08:17:12 PM

Since this is mostly about football, it is also worth pointing out that high school football players simply aren't physically ready for pro football with a very few exceptions.

I started to type 'with no exceptions' then second guessed myself but now I am back.  I do not think anyone, even a kicker, could compete in teh NFL right out fo high school.

The Larch

Don't try to apply European sport club logic to American leagues, they work in completely different ways.

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2014, 08:25:50 PM

Don't try to apply European sport club logic to American leagues, they work in completely different ways.

Yeah baseball use to be that way, but then Curt Flood has to fuck it all up!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son