News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Vietnam War

Started by alfred russel, March 24, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2014, 04:26:35 PM
What arrangement could NV and the US have come to other than throwing South Vietnam under the bus, and what could NV possibly have given to the US that would have justified the price?

benign neglect/hands off rest of SE Asia
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2014, 04:37:43 PM
I regret starting this thread. It was supposed to be a discussion of the Vietnam War, not whether we should have allied with Ho Chi Minh roughly two decades before the war ever got cranking.

Stop being so anal.  You start a thread, then it goes where it wants to go.

I generally agree. But we never talk about the Vietnam War, most people here know a zillion things about the military, so I was hoping to learn stuff. Instead we went somewhere stupid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2014, 04:46:09 PM
I regret starting this thread. It was supposed to be a discussion of the Vietnam War, not whether we should have allied with Ho Chi Minh roughly two decades before the war ever got cranking.

I generally agree. But we never talk about the Vietnam War, most people here know a zillion things about the military, so I was hoping to learn stuff. Instead we went somewhere stupid.

I agree.

We should get back to the sensible business of rating SE Asian women.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

I guess I could live with that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

He has a point.  I mean, if I started a thread wanting to discuss Allied strategy in WWII and some Texas dude who shall remain nameless blurted out that we should have killed Hitler when he was a baby I'd be kind of annoyed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2014, 04:59:11 PM
He has a point.  I mean, if I started a thread wanting to discuss Allied strategy in WWII and some Texas dude who shall remain nameless blurted out that we should have killed Hitler when he was a baby I'd be kind of annoyed.

That is annoying.  I would consider that more tactics than strategy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on March 25, 2014, 04:47:25 PM
We should get back to the sensible business of rating SE Asian women.  :)
Korean chicks have the best tits.  Discussion over.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Thanks Marty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2014, 04:46:09 PM

You asked for a strategy about how to win in Vietnam and I gave one.  I didn't realize there were secret rules I had to abide by :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Ide shouldn't be allowed to review movies, and Dorsey4Heisman shouldn't be allowed to talk about Communist history, since both are usually talking out of their asses.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 25, 2014, 04:28:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2014, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2014, 04:10:18 PM
Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, etc.

No offense to funky monkey but Phillipinas just don't cut it.

Wrong. :(

Flip chicks are subhuman.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2014, 05:25:08 PM
You asked for a strategy about how to win in Vietnam and I gave one.  I didn't realize there were secret rules I had to abide by :P 

Well, duh!  The First Secret Rule is to never mention the existence of The Secret Rules.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

What is the second secret rule?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2014, 05:23:34 PM

Thanks Marty.

:hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall