Which State is the Spiritual Home of Basketball?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 21, 2014, 05:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bork

North Carolina
1 (3.3%)
Indiana
18 (60%)
Kentucky
0 (0%)
Kansas
1 (3.3%)
Other
6 (20%)
North Jaron
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

A school teacher in Massachusetts where he invented the sport :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Yes, that is why Canada is the spiritual home of Basketball.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

Naismith coached Kansas so I guess that is the best choice out of the ones listed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on March 21, 2014, 06:36:27 PM
Not a state, but I say New York City.

The Indiana / Kentucky / Kansas spiritual homeland concept is the heart of the Hoosiers movie--small town white America in love with hoops at the grassroots level. The culture of the sport has shifted to be much more urban. I think the current spiritual homeland are the urban playgrounds, and streetball is no more famous than in NYC.

No black people live in small towns?  The Mississippi Valley will be bummed.  But anyway since when have any top prospects from New York or any teams from New York done crap?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2014, 10:09:34 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 21, 2014, 06:36:27 PM
Not a state, but I say New York City.

The Indiana / Kentucky / Kansas spiritual homeland concept is the heart of the Hoosiers movie--small town white America in love with hoops at the grassroots level. The culture of the sport has shifted to be much more urban. I think the current spiritual homeland are the urban playgrounds, and streetball is no more famous than in NYC.

No black people live in small towns?  The Mississippi Valley will be bummed.  But anyway since when have any top prospects from New York or any teams from New York done crap?

Huh? No one has been talking about the Mississippi Valley--I was talking about Indiana, Kentucky, and Kansas, which are not known for diversity.

The success of New York teams and prospects is a non sequitur--this is about the spiritual home of basketball.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2014, 12:44:14 AM
Huh? No one has been talking about the Mississippi Valley--I was talking about Indiana, Kentucky, and Kansas, which are not known for diversity.

The success of New York teams and prospects is a non sequitur--this is about the spiritual home of basketball.

New York City basketball looks to me like an afterthought, even in New York.  The state's "Mr. Basketball" is as likely to come from outside the city as in it, and few of the state's Mr Basketball designees have been highly recruited or highly drafted.  If the spiritual home of basketball has moved to a city, that city would be LA.  And I'd say Chicago also tops NYC on the list of basketball cities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2014, 06:06:42 AM
New York City basketball looks to me like an afterthought, even in New York.  The state's "Mr. Basketball" is as likely to come from outside the city as in it, and few of the state's Mr Basketball designees have been highly recruited or highly drafted.  If the spiritual home of basketball has moved to a city, that city would be LA.  And I'd say Chicago also tops NYC on the list of basketball cities.

I don't know why the production of talent is important...but if you want to consider, when you take population into account, NYC is kind of a wasteland in terms of athlete production. The city does better with basketball than baseball and football.

My major point was that I think the spiritual homeland is now an urban basketball court rather than a rural gym. I'm talking about the streetball scene. If you want to argue LA over NYC, you won't get an argument from me. I'm not talking about the best basketball city--that is a different discussion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014