How do you celebrate Mardi Gras in your neck of the woods?

Started by Savonarola, March 03, 2014, 09:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Detroit (and especially in my home town of Grand Rapids) Shrove Tuesday was Paczki Day; huge lines would form at the Polish bakeries in order to get authentic(ish) Paczkis.

At a former job one of our engineers was from Germany.  On Rosenmontag he brought in doughnuts for the office.

Here in Florida there's no Paczkis to be found ( :().  Instead they have King Cake; which I take it comes from New Orleans, but it's something that I thought was part of Latin American Three Kings Day, not Carnival. :unsure:

In any event how do you celebrate Carnival/Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras in your hometown?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Haven't done anything for Mardi Gras in past 15 years or so. There's usually a parade where they throw out cheap beads somewhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

This will be the year that I don't wonder why people have smudges of dirt on their faces. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

We spent the weekend down in Mobile getting hit on the face with beads thrown by drunks from cheap floats.  :lol: Also ate some good bbq.  :licklips:
Awesome weekend,  mardi gras in Mobile is still family friendly. Oh,  we only ate three king cakes.  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 10:20:49 PM
Are king cakes another word for funnel cakes?

No, and was surprised to see them for sale at my local Fred Meyers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: katmai on March 03, 2014, 11:24:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 10:20:49 PM
Are king cakes another word for funnel cakes?

No, and was surprised to see them for sale at my local Fred Meyers.

:wub:  I LOVE Fred Meyer.  I buy almost everything there, if they don't have it I figure I don't need it.  I have done 100% of my XMas shopping there the last 3 years.

Capetan Mihali

I've enjoyed hitting the Shrove Tuesday pancake dinners from time to time.  Otherwise, never been much doing, except the sprinkling of ersatz New Orleans things, mainly in bars.  Probably nothing at all here in Yankeedom HQ.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

In Germany, carnival is mostly in the time between Thursday and Monday before Mardi Gras. I think by Mardi Gras, people are so hungover that they just can't celebrate anymore.