Georgia teen shot by cop for carrying a Wii remote?

Started by Syt, February 25, 2014, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-teen-holding-wii-remote-shot-cops-front-door-family-lawyer-article-1.1619842

QuoteGeorgia teen holding Wii remote shot by cops at his front door: family lawyer

Christopher Roupe, 17, was shot by a Euharlee police officer on Friday when he answered the door. Police say he was pointing a handgun, not the video game device. Roupe was an aspiring Marine, his family said.

Christopher Roupe was shot and killed by a Euharlee police officer on Friday — but the circumstances of the shooting are under investigation. The family lawyer said he was holding only a Wii remote, but police said he had a handgun.
A Georgia teen who dreamed of being a Marine was killed by police at his front door while wielding only a Wii remote, the family lawyer claims.

Christopher Roupe, 17, of Euharlee was felled by a single police bullet when an unidentified officer arrived at the family mobile home to execute a probation violation warrant against his father, authorities said.

RELATED: ARIZ. COP REPORTS DON'T SAY SUSPECT KILLED WITH HANDS UP

A closer look at the controller for the Nintendo Wii console.

Meanwhile, police assert that the teen pointed a gun directly at the female officer, prompting her to blast the boy in the chest.

The circumstances of the tragic shooting last Friday night are under reviewed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, according to reports.

Police had visited the home to execute a violation of probation warrant for Roupe's father.

Police had visited the home to execute a violation of probation warrant for Roupe's father.

"It just doesn't add up," family attorney Cole Law told WSBTV. "He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest."

Roupe, 17, was a member of the ROTC at Woodland High School and was planning to sign up for the Marines, his friends said.

RELATED: POLICE SHOOT MAN WHO THREATENED OFFICERS WITH A BAYONET

The Friday evening bloodshed took place at a set of mobile homes along Euharlee Road.

"He was a good kid," his pal William Corson told WSBT.

Euharlee police said two officers arrived at roughly 7:35 p.m. and Roupe answered the door with a gun drawn — contradicting the lawyer and witness claims that he was unarmed, expect for the video game device.

RELATED: COP SHOOTS DOG IN HARLEM AFTER IT BITES FELLOW OFFICER

The female officer reportedly burst into tears after the shooting. She has not been identified.

The officer, who has been placed on administrative leave, broke down after she realized that she had shot the teen at point-blank range, witnesses said.

"She put her head in her hands and she was sobbing," Ken Yates told WSBT. "Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun and in my opinion I think he was playing a game with his neighborhood buddies."

RELATED: CALIFORNIA COPS TASER DEAF MAN AND BEAT HIM: SUIT

Roupe was transported to a hospital in Cartersville where he was pronounced dead. The result of the investigation will be forwarded to the district attorney's office, police said.

Police directed all questions regarding the shooting to the GBI. A spokeswoman for the unit did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A spokeswoman for the family directed all inquiries to their attorney, who could not be immediately reached for comment on Wednesday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

We've all seen what that remote can do to tv-screens.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

QuoteRELATED: ARIZ. COP REPORTS DON'T SAY SUSPECT KILLED WITH HANDS UP

Hey man, don't be so threatening when ordered next time, dummy.

QuoteRELATED: POLICE SHOOT MAN WHO THREATENED OFFICERS WITH A BAYONET

Told you to drop it twice, dummy.

QuoteRELATED: CALIFORNIA COPS TASER DEAF MAN AND BEAT HIM: SUIT

Next time follow orders; even if you can't hear them, you can see them. Dummy.

QuoteRELATED: COP SHOOTS DOG IN HARLEM AFTER IT BITES FELLOW OFFICER

MOTHERFUCKERS  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Syt

RELATED:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justice/oklahoma-arrest-death-video/index.html?sr=fb022614oklahomaarrestdeath930a

QuoteOklahoma father dies in police encounter after mother slaps daughter

(CNN) -- It was supposed to be a fun family outing to the movies, but then Nair Rodriguez' 19-year-old daughter got under her skin. They fought, she said, and she slapped her daughter.

Moments later, police arrived on a domestic dispute call at the Moore, Oklahoma, theater and confronted -- not Nair Rodriguez -- but her husband Luis. They took him down, and after the encounter on February 15, he was dead.

Cell phone video taken by his wife and released this week shows the final minutes of the takedown.

Nair Rodriguez accuses officers of brutality. Police say they were following protocol and used no undue force.

Argument, upset

The mother-daughter spat upset the mother so badly that she bolted for the family car. Her husband Luis followed her to calm her down, family attorney Michael Brooks-Jimenez told reporters.

That's when a group of police and theater security officers turned up, he said.

What happened next is disputed.

His wife has said officers beat Luis Rodriguez, CNN affiliate KFOR reported. But Moore Police Chief Jerry Stillings calls the actions of his officers "reasonable."

He would not go in to much detail and said an investigation is underway. But he mentioned that police used pepper spray, CNN affiliate KOCO reported.

Luis Rodriguez ended up on the ground with five men pinning him down, and wife Nair pulled out a cell phone.

Her fearful cries fill the recording.

"Luis! Luis!" she calls out frantically. Her husband does not respond, does not appear to move.

She calls to the officers to assure her that he is alright.

"Please somebody tell me that he is alive," she implores. "He is not moving."

The officers appear calm. One tells her that he will talk to her, once they are finished securing her husband.

Then one walks over to the camera. He tells her that police have called in a medical unit to check on her husband.

It wasn't him

The officer says police received a call about domestic violence before confronting her husband.

It wasn't him, Nair Rodriguez tells him. "I hit my daughter," she says. She wants to know why they have pinned down her husband.

"He refused to give his ID," the officer said. "He got combative."

She notices blood on the officer. "Is he bleeding?" She demands to know.

"I'm bleeding; that's me," the officer says.

An ambulance can be seen in the background, and Luis Rodriguez is lifted onto a stretcher.

The video ends shortly afterward.

Cause of death

An autopsy may reveal more about why Luis Rodriguez died, and surveillance camera footage of the encounter in the movie theater parking lot may reveal what happened before his wife pulled out her cell phone camera.

What police describe as normal procedure, lawyer Brooks-Jimenez describes it as something brutal and possibly deadly.

Pepper spray to the face and the weight of five men on top of him.

CNN has reached out to Brooks-Jimenez for further comment and has placed calls to the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Hopefully the daughter has learned her lesson about why you shouldn't annoy your mother.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.