News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PS4 vs. Xbox One

Started by Caliga, February 16, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Ok, I'm planning on using part of my bonus to build an entertainment center in my living room, and as part of that I'm thinking of getting a next gen console and foregoing a blu-ray player since I think both of them can play blu-ray movies.

Does anyone have either one of these and if so what are your thoughts?  I checked the stable of games for both and it's pretty weak so far.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Don't have one but have friends that do and have read a bunch of reviews. Most of my friends went for Xbox One solely because they all played Xbox 360 together, it wasn't an intelligent decision based on comparing the two products. My one friend who is a serious gamer (serious enough to be 42, single, lives in a condo that is basically entirely a man cave and all that entails) bought a PS4 as he said it is by far the better gaming device. Xbox One is better if you want a device that does a bunch of media center features and also plays games, PS4 is the better option for pure gaming, as my friend says it. His claims align almost 100% with all the reviews I've read. I'll note most of the online reviews, whether they advocate the PS4 or the Xbox One, suggest waiting until the systems have been out a year before buying as typically in a new console generation that is about how long it takes for a respectable slate of games to be out for the new machines.

Caliga

Yeah, I'm not in a huge rush Otto.  It's not like I have to spend my bonus money immediately (though as soon as it's been deposited in a few weeks, I'll be siphoning most of it off to pay down the mortgage).

OttoVonBismarck

I would probably buy an Xbox One if I didn't already own a small form factor computer I set up as a media center device in my entertainment room. The One has lots of cool media center features and if you say, have a ton of movies on a Windows PC on your home network it's extremely effortless to stream the video from your PC to your Xbox, and because of the way the streaming works it doesn't run into codec issues or anything. The Xbox One itself won't directly play files like .mkv, but when you stream using media center the receiving device isn't actually the one doing the video work so it gets around this.

But since I've already done that I'll probably hold off a good long while, the last actual game I played on my 360 probably came out two years ago. I just really haven't been much of a console gamer in a long time.

DontSayBanana

The PS4 sounds better for gaming, while the XBO sounds better for entertainment center purposes, what with the TV voice control and split-screen features.
Experience bij!

Syt

PS4 once exclusive games I want come out for it.

Though I will miss Forza Motorsport. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

I've found the XboxOne interface to be kind of clunky.  It's like they weren't thinking about it as a game console at all, but as a media interface first and foremost.

Mind you, I don't own either machine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2014, 10:56:57 AM
I've found the XboxOne interface to be kind of clunky.  It's like they weren't thinking about it as a game console at all, but as a media interface first and foremost.

Mind you, I don't own either machine.

Thief.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I will remain brand loyal, and get the PS4 once I'm confident all the supply chain issues are ironed out in later firmware versions 6 months or so into production.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 16, 2014, 09:25:09 AM
My one friend who is a serious gamer (serious enough to be 42, single, lives in a condo that is basically entirely a man cave and all that entails)

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

katmai

I'm going for PS4 come may or so, just because their cloud system will let me play PS3 games like last of us.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

My friends that have gone from the PS3 to the PS4 love it. I expect to get a PS4 late summer/early fall. BTW Destiny looks to be awesome,  comes out September.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

At this point I am officially leaning toward PS4.

Caliga

Oh, on related notes, Princesca and I went shopping for TVs and entertainment centers yesterday and while we made no decisions re: the latter, I think we've narrowed the TV search down to a 60" LED TV of some sort or another.

Ed Anger

Join the huge TV crowd.

Join us........
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Big TV is very working class. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.