Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

Started by garbon, February 14, 2014, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2014, 05:21:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 05:14:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:42:20 PM
You cannot argue that the outcome of the last few decades can possibly be ok for human society.

The last few of decades have probably been the best decades in the history of humanity.

For whom?

Humanity.

I'm not saying there aren't human conflicts, but we have relative peace, a rising global middle class, improved global life expectancies, declining illiteracy, etc.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 05:56:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2014, 05:52:03 PM
But isn't it over?  I felt that it was over.
Then just as an academic excercise explain to me how the rich guy getting richer *is* an example of warfare for the reason Berkut described, but my examples are not.  In fact, mine should be even more egregious, since his rich guy only increased his potential political influence, whereas mine increased their actual influence.
I don't think that the rich guy getting richer is an example of class warfare.  The rich guy getting richer and then using the various means at his disposal to disenfranchise and damage the majority and prevent them from exercising their rights and freedoms is an example of class warfare.  There also needs to be an element of purposefulness to it.  Therefore, forbidding poor people from voting, restricting their ability to access justice or banning fox hunting are all examples of class warfare.  Turning 18 is not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:42:20 PM
You cannot argue that the outcome of the last few decades can possibly be ok for human society.

The last few of decades have probably been the best decades in the history of humanity.
For whom?
Humanity.

I'm not saying there aren't human conflicts, but we have relative peace, a rising global middle class, improved global life expectancies, declining illiteracy, etc.
Which would be great things if not for the whole end of civilization thing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 06:04:41 PMHumanity.

Yeah. This is fair. I remember seeing a really interesting chart of income inequality and income growth in the world. Basically the very, very top of super-rich are doing very well. The poorest are doing well. The very broad middle (Asia and Latin America) are doing well. But the top sort of 20% haven't done well, which is basically the West.

From a global perspective we're the people paid $300 000 a year to do the 1%'s taxes, so it's difficult to say it's really awful that we're not getting richer. But from our perspective, it's awful that we're not getting richer.

And the super-rich is an interesting change. You're not even rich if you're a millionaire anymore (in London, often you're just a home owner):
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/05/the-rise-and-rise-of-the-super-rich/257069/
These piece is brilliant on the global elite - Davos man:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-rise-of-the-new-global-elite/308343/
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:12:45 PM
Most people who talk about "class war" don't actually mean bullets and such you know.

I could get with that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2014, 06:11:28 PM
I don't think that the rich guy getting richer is an example of class warfare.  The rich guy getting richer and then using the various means at his disposal to disenfranchise and damage the majority and prevent them from exercising their rights and freedoms is an example of class warfare.  There also needs to be an element of purposefulness to it.  Therefore, forbidding poor people from voting, restricting their ability to access justice or banning fox hunting are all examples of class warfare.  Turning 18 is not.

Then you disagree with Berkut.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 06:04:41 PM

For whom?

Humanity.

22% of American children under the age of 18 live under the poverty level, 25% of which are under the age of 5.  That is a needless and unacceptable humanity.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

It's their fault they're not making enough money, rawr.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Kleves

Maybe the government should sell the rich extra votes at like $100,000 a pop. They're going to buy the votes indirectly anyway.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

MadImmortalMan

I'd sell my vote to Mr. Perkins for a hundred grand.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 05:32:04 PM
What makes you think that a system with property or income qualifications wouldn't hand out free money?

Reread my post that you responded to.

QuotePolitical systems which have included a property or income qualification have tended to work for the benefit of the upper classes.  Political systems which have not have had a tendency to hand out more free money.  Both have their disadvantages.

My reading of that was the disadvantage of each system was mutually exclusive.  Otherwise, it reads like one system has two problem and the other has one problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Anyway, it goes toward my theory that libertarians and the like are sorta luke warm on the whole democracy thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 07:21:09 PM
Anyway, it goes toward my theory that libertarians and the like are sorta luke warm on the whole democracy thing.

Anyone who cares more about rights than consensus would be by definition, wouldn't they?