Yes, in the surrounding areas (Silver)
12 (32.4%)
Yes, somewhere in Russia (Bronze)
16 (43.2%)
Nah, it'll be safe (no medal)
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Razgovory

The real question about the Olympics is if someone will be able to pull off a terrorist attack while it's going on.

First option is the Olympic park itself, the gold medal for terrorism.  This is the Olympic village and venues and the area within the major security zone.

Second option is the surrounding area, the silver medal for terrorism.  This is the hotels, trains and buses that cater to the spectators.

Third option is somewhere in Russia, the bronze medal for terrorism.  An attack anywhere in Russia at the time.

For the definition of terrorist attack it should be a bombing, a major hostage taking, or a mass shooting with a political motive.  If Boris Borisovich Borisov blows up his local liquor store because they are out of vodka that probably shouldn't count.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Voted bronze, but I think silver is a possibility.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Voted bronze.  I also think there is a distinctly non-zero probability of Russians winning the gold on their own, with an arena collapse or something of that nature.

Pedrito

Voted Silver, because I am an optimist type of person.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

MadImmortalMan

Went with the probabilities and voted nothing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2014, 10:04:49 AM
Voted bronze.  I also think there is a distinctly non-zero probability of Russians winning the gold on their own, with an arena collapse or something of that nature.

Did not happen even under Brezhnev, come on.
I say Bronze, since attacks happen regularly in Southern Russia.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 05, 2014, 12:48:53 PM
Went with the probabilities and voted nothing.

I hope not. Apart from the obvious humanitarian reasons, the Olympics are awesome. I hope nothing screws them up; either from terrorism, warm weather, Russian incompetence.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josephus

i say nothing will happen. which is kind of symbolic about the winter olympics in general, anyway
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I fear the terrorists will get a Silver medal. 

MadImmortalMan

Does the thwarted hijacking count?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Caliga

Did the Olympics blow up yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on February 07, 2014, 03:07:55 PM
Did the Olympics blow up yet.
Be patient, good things come to those who wait.