News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Richard the Lion Heart, Cannibal

Started by Malthus, January 27, 2014, 03:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I came across an extremely bizzare reference to Richard the First of England the other day, I thought I'd share it with you history mavens.

This was in a passage in the romance Richard Coeur de Lion where the author has Richard as a - cannibal. 

That's right - he eats man-flesh. What's more, so does his whole army!

First, he comes down with a fever and gets an irresistable urge to eat pork. Being in the middle east, pork was scarce, so his servants substitute - human. First, without his knowledge, but when he finds out, rather than being horrified, he is delighted. Now, he'll never go short of meat!

"Shall we never die for default
When we may, in any assault
Slee Saracens, the flesh may take
And seethen, rosten, and do then bake,
And gnawen them flesh to the bones!
Now that I have proved it ones
For hunger erre I be woe
I and my folk shall eat moe." 

The rest of his army, seeing the king smacking his lips over human meat, decides they will eat man-flesh, too - after all, if the king does it, it can't be wrong.

When Acre surrenders, he has a whole town of people as a larder to choose from - once Saladin refuses to pay the ransom for the prisoners. He invites Saladin's ambassadors to a friendly feast - of their friends. He adds labels to the dishes, a sort of who's who menu.

What's more, he then threatens to eat every Saracen in his path ...

King Richard I, honorary Orc.    :D

You can read the gruesome details here ... http://books.google.ca/books?id=TIM9AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA356&lpg=PA356&dq=Richard+Coeur+de+Lion+cannibalism&source=bl&ots=z10ocUMNCc&sig=zYX9VE5Erlg0wtzYQpHN3CPZSkY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7EblUrXeJonNsQT90YLAAg&ved=0CF0Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Richard%20Coeur%20de%20Lion%20cannibalism&f=false
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I am sure there is fanfic worse than that; I shudder to think of what you'd find if you googled "Richard the Lionheart' and "Wesley Crusher!"  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

It is well known that Richard the Lion Heart too great pleasure in the placing of man flesh in his mouth. The mastication bit, though, seems to be fictional.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on January 27, 2014, 04:47:46 PM
It is well known that Richard the Lion Heart too great pleasure in the placing of man flesh in his mouth. The mastication bit, though, seems to be fictional.

I assume that would be the gist of googling fan-fic featuring him and Wesley Crusher ...  :hmm:

But yeah, I'm just amused that some romance-writer thought of casting his hero as a cannibal.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It is well known that Richard the Lion Heart too great pleasure in the placing of man flesh in his mouth.

Not really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

There are, allegedly, accounts of cannibalism actually taking place during the first Crusade - mostly among the starving survivors of Peter the Hermit's gang. That it took place during the Third Crusade, and on the part of the king, though, is pretty clearly fictional.  ;)

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
It is well known that Richard the Lion Heart too great pleasure in the placing of man flesh in his mouth.

Not really.

Is it not common knowledge among the informed historical wargaming set that Richard-coer-lion was the most homofaggity homofaggit of the late middle ages?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on January 27, 2014, 04:59:42 PM

Not really.

Is it not common knowledge among the informed historical wargaming set that Richard-coer-lion was the most homofaggity homofaggit of the late middle ages?

Maybe but I just do not think he was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on January 27, 2014, 04:59:42 PM

Not really.

He wasn't exactly a straight homofaggit - they don't usually have illegitimate children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_of_Cognac

Accounts of his sex habits are conflicting - I assume he swung both ways.

Eddie Teach

The film "The Lion in Winter" implied he was, though the Robin Hood films don't.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2014, 05:04:51 PM
Accounts of his sex habits are conflicting - I assume he swung both ways.

I think he just did his duty for France when Prince Philippe came calling.  His reputation was very much 'lock up your daughters here comes Richard' generally.  Or at least so far as I can tell.

But Edward II had illegitimate kids as well so...let's just say things were more fluid back then.

Darth Wagtaros

A queen for every king and a king for every queen, maid, and nun?
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2014, 04:58:32 PM
There are, allegedly, accounts of cannibalism actually taking place during the first Crusade - mostly among the starving survivors of Peter the Hermit's gang. That it took place during the Third Crusade, and on the part of the king, though, is pretty clearly fictional.  ;)

Yeah, the cannibalism angle is real big in Arab accounts.  I don't know think it was widespread through, and accounts like that are often second hand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017