100,000 West Virginians Told To Abandon Tap Water due to chemical spill

Started by Phillip V, January 09, 2014, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Imagine the panic if such a don't-touch-the-water advisory was issued in a large city. :wacko:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304347904579311401555482172

At least 100,000 customers in nine West Virginia counties were told not to drink, bathe, cook or wash clothes using their tap water because of a chemical spill into the Elk River in Charleston, with Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declaring a state of emergency Thursday for those areas.

The chemical, a foaming agent used in the coal preparation process, leaked from a tank at Freedom Industries, overran a containment area and went into the river earlier Thursday. The amount that spilled wasn't immediately known, but West Virginia American Water has a treatment plant nearby and it is the company's customers who are affected.

"The water has been contaminated," said Mr. Tomblin, who didn't know how long the emergency declaration would last.

garbon

Are things that happen in West Virginia comparable to major cities?

Anyway, after most major earthquakes, Californians in the affected areas are told not to trust the tap water.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

To some degree they would be...this isn't similar to not trusting your tap water due to a fear of impurities. You have the head of the local water company and the Governor saying the tap water is contaminated with a dangerous chemical and it is unsafe for any use...I'm pretty sure you'd see mass pandemonium anywhere in the country an announcement like that was made.

KRonn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 10, 2014, 12:17:40 AM
To some degree they would be...this isn't similar to not trusting your tap water due to a fear of impurities. You have the head of the local water company and the Governor saying the tap water is contaminated with a dangerous chemical and it is unsafe for any use...I'm pretty sure you'd see mass pandemonium anywhere in the country an announcement like that was made.

Yeah, this would be a mess anywhere. I remember that Massachusetts had a water main break in the pipeline that brings water from the Quabbin Reservoir to dozens of towns and it caused quite a ruckus.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2014, 07:52:22 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 09, 2014, 11:02:09 PM

That looks like a Country Mart.  We have those here. :x  I guess it's a step up from IGA, though. :hmm:

Going by the tags, it looks like a Kroger.  Mind you, Kroger locations tend to be a bit old & run-down in WV.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on January 10, 2014, 09:53:25 AM
What the hell is a Fulmers el jefe?

A shitty local supermarket. Think IGA, but even more run down.

I went way too local with that reference.

Grey Fox

I think that supermarket looks fine.

How does a not-rundown market looks like for you guys?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Gotcha. Just scared me as I have Fulmer family from
Dayton area. :lol:

Ed Anger

katmai

Considering Mothers side if family is German-Irish I would think so.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 10, 2014, 10:03:18 AM
I think that supermarket looks fine.

How does a not-rundown market looks like for you guys?
I don't think it looks like a Kroger... I'm sure I'll be in Kroger this weekend so I'll try to pay attention to the signage, etc.

...and the market in that pic doesn't look run-down based on the pic itself, but if it is a Country Mart, it's going to be chock full of crap.  I'm talking green baloney, people.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points