Government so slow it's still processing visa requests from the early '90s.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 01, 2014, 07:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I processed a work VISA while I was there too, and it was also quite reasonable (don't remember exactly, but it was less than 3 months). But as hinted these disparities are probably caused by their priority system.

Josquius

That's just crazy. How much must life have moved on from the original application...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In the early 00's I was flirting with the idea of moving to the U.S. of everloving A.

My sister (then a resident alien thanks to her being married to an USian) asked her immigration officer/case worker/whatever-the-correct-term-is what the easiest way would be for me to get a permanent residence.

Reply by the immigration officer: come over with a tourist visa, find a job, and have your employer vouch for you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 02, 2014, 09:44:15 AM
In the early 00's I was flirting with the idea of moving to the U.S. of everloving A.

My sister (then a resident alien thanks to her being married to an USian) asked her immigration officer/case worker/whatever-the-correct-term-is what the easiest way would be for me to get a permanent residence.

Reply by the immigration officer: come over with a tourist visa, find a job, and have your employer vouch for you.

That's how it works in the end, to be frank. I was there under a student visa and got a job and a sponsor to go with it. You don't get permanent residency with that though, it's just a work visa tied to your job, that's why I came back to Blackhole Spain after my contract expired.

grumbler

This is a seriously stupid article, and Timmay is seriously stupid for having fallen for it.

The US isn't "still processing" 23-year-old applications, it simply hasn't granted some 23-year-old applications because those apps didn't win the lottery yet and haven't qualified for acceptance under other provisions.

Now, the issue of the applicant "aging out" is a separate one, and the administration's stance on this baffles me, but the courts seem poised to rectify that.

Seriously, Tim:  did you even think about this for a second before you made your claim that the government was "so slow" that it couldn't get an application out of an in-basket for 23 years?  This isn't even you being gullible; the article nowhere makes the claim that this case is about the government being "so slow it's still processing visa requests from the early '90s."  That was just you being dumb.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!