News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm on day four of trying out a low carb diet. I'm feeling a little better today - the past few days I've wanted to both kill everyone and eat full loaves of bread. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 10:43:02 AM
I'm on day four of trying out a low carb diet. I'm feeling a little better today - the past few days I've wanted to both kill everyone and eat full loaves of bread. -_-
Don't bother:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546975/One-twin-gave-sugar-gave-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html

QuoteSo, what were our conclusions? If you want to lose weight it will be much easier if you avoid processed foods made with sugar and fat. These foods affect your brain in a completely different way from natural foods and it's hard for anyone to resist eating too much.

And any diet that eliminates fat or sugar will be unpalatable, hard to sustain and probably be bad for your health, too.

Daily Fail reported but BBC sponsored.

garbon

I haven't been trying this to lose weight/long-term but rather just to see if I could. I intend to bring back carbs by the Superbowl, at least. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Brazen on January 30, 2014, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 10:43:02 AM
Don't bother:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546975/One-twin-gave-sugar-gave-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html

QuoteSo, what were our conclusions? If you want to lose weight it will be much easier if you avoid processed foods made with sugar and fat. These foods affect your brain in a completely different way from natural foods and it's hard for anyone to resist eating too much.

And any diet that eliminates fat or sugar will be unpalatable, hard to sustain and probably be bad for your health, too.

Daily Fail reported but BBC sponsored.

I watched that documentary yesterday, quite interesting.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 01, 2014, 10:12:47 AM
Men's League basketball starts in a couple weeks.  I am on a team made up of former college players.  My main concern is whether I can play a full game while keeping up with my team mates.  I have scrimmaged with them but I haven't played in a real game for a long time.

League play started last week but I had to miss the opening games due to some lung issues.  Going to play my first game tonight.  If you hear a news story about some idiot with a lung disease keeling over while trying to relive the glory days that will be me.

crazy canuck

I am alive!

We played a team of 20 somethings.  I was by far the oldest guy on the court (the rest of my team was in their late 30s early 40s).  I played against a 6'9'' guy who's eyes lit up when he saw I was guarding him and he told all his teammates to get him the ball.   That is all it took to get the competitive juices going.  I should have thanked him. We won by about 40.

lustindarkness

AR, I would recommend to start a year+ of serious training for a target marathon, and that is after at least a couple of years of regular running. Also, train and race with a run/walk program, your target for your first marathon should be to finish the distance healthy (no matter how slow, it will be your PR). After you get the first one under your belt, you can start thinking about a faster one.

I've been running distance on and off since middle school. In 2007 and 2008 I ran a bunch of 5k, 10k and a couple of halfs. I decided to run the 2009 Disney marathon. I was regularly running a 10 mile long run every other week or so, so I thought 9 months hard training would be enough. I was wrong, my knees have been shot since.  :glare: I should have trained longer and smarter, because now 5 years later, I still struggle with running, something I enjoy and miss. BTW, in 2008 I ran over 1k miles, and I built up to 22 mile long run in training, marathon was Jan 2009.

Did I finish it? Hell yeah, I walked 1 minute every mile, I was passing people all 26 miles and no one passed me after miles 20-22. Finished in 5:04, and it was a blast, great fun. :)

My knees hurt from just typing this. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Legbiter

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 04, 2014, 11:55:17 AMMy knees hurt from just typing this. :(

;)

Today all I'm doing is walking to the grocery store. Tomorrow is lift heavy things day
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 04, 2014, 11:55:17 AM
AR, I would recommend to start a year+ of serious training for a target marathon, and that is after at least a couple of years of regular running. Also, train and race with a run/walk program, your target for your first marathon should be to finish the distance healthy (no matter how slow, it will be your PR). After you get the first one under your belt, you can start thinking about a faster one.

I've been running distance on and off since middle school. In 2007 and 2008 I ran a bunch of 5k, 10k and a couple of halfs. I decided to run the 2009 Disney marathon. I was regularly running a 10 mile long run every other week or so, so I thought 9 months hard training would be enough. I was wrong, my knees have been shot since.  :glare: I should have trained longer and smarter, because now 5 years later, I still struggle with running, something I enjoy and miss. BTW, in 2008 I ran over 1k miles, and I built up to 22 mile long run in training, marathon was Jan 2009.

Did I finish it? Hell yeah, I walked 1 minute every mile, I was passing people all 26 miles and no one passed me after miles 20-22. Finished in 5:04, and it was a blast, great fun. :)

My knees hurt from just typing this. :(

I've been running for a long time, ~7 years, and my long runs have been at ~9 miles since last June (though I've take some breaks when I was doing some holidays that included aggressive cardio and during holidays).

But the last few weeks haven't been good. I'm thinking the March 22 race was too aggressive. I felt like I was breaking down (and not just my groin). I'm going onto a 4 day a week plan to increase recovery time (I'll do cross training 2 of those days). I also need to watch my diet more and make sure I get rest at night.

I'm thinking a marathon at the beginning of May.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

As an old fart, I trained with 3 runs a week (short fast one, a medium regular one, and a slow long one). Run/walk for anythig over 10 miles. It still was too much too soon for my knees, but I blame the Navy for that ;).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 04, 2014, 01:26:33 PM
As an old fart, I trained with 3 runs a week (short fast one, a medium regular one, and a slow long one). Run/walk for anythig over 10 miles. It still was too much too soon for my knees, but I blame the Navy for that ;).
I approve of this post.

Brazen

My hip problem has eased up so I've started running again as run/walk intervals - 3 mins run, 2 mins walk. Going to enter a 5K or two then see how I'm fixed fo rlonger distances.

I've also started lifting heavy, something I've previously found boring and contrary to my goals, but it's really helping improve my fat to lean ratio, even if it makes the scale stall for a bit, and I'm hoping it will help prevent injury. Us middle aged ladies need some of that.

I'm hoping when I get to an "after" physique someone asks what I do and I say run, lift heavy, Zumba, circuit training, Tae Bo, stationary cycling, HIIT, bodyweight resistance, kettlebells, power walking, home workout DVDs...

celedhring

After seeing my body weight increase these past months, I have decided to perform several sacrifices to the cruel gods of healthy living:

1) My addiction to carbonated drinks.
2) My addiction to greasy appetizers.
3) I shall also perform the ritual of running in circles for 45 minutes every other day, only to please their thirst for human suffering.

I hope those offerings please them, and reward me with a smaller waistline in the coming months.

Caliga

I've been sewing patches on to my gi for the last three days.  I can only do a few stitches at a time since I can't find my thimble.  MAH THUMBS
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points