News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 20, 2014, 11:42:30 AM
Did the same 25 mile round trip today.  Got passed on the hill by some young lycra woman (who was in far better climbing shape than I am), but my greater mass meant that on the downhill I caught up.  Then it was 10 miles back into the wind following a couple of hundred yards behind, never able to catch up.

It's not a race, but having a lead like that meant I worked harder than I would have alone.  Good time.

:cool:

Yeah, having those occasional 'races' are fun.

I used to get into unacknowledged commuter races, nothing was ever said, but both parties would up their game and a certain amount of overtaking happened. And it is a better work out.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

My marathon by mid May plan is shelved. I missed almost all my workouts the last two weeks, and ended up regressing.

I'm going to try settling into a routine with a long run of 12 - 14 miles, and then next winter look at stretching it out to a marathon distance. Or if things go really well, perhaps in the fall.

FAILURE.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Just don't kill yourself (like the original marathon runner did).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 11:51:09 AM
My marathon by mid May plan is shelved. I missed almost all my workouts the last two weeks, and ended up regressing.

I'm going to try settling into a routine with a long run of 12 - 14 miles, and then next winter look at stretching it out to a marathon distance. Or if things go really well, perhaps in the fall.
Doesn't sound at all failish to me. Why not enter a half or two to get your speed up?

I'm working out like a loon at the moment, but having a sharp reminder you can't out-exercise a bad diet. I really need to loose 30lbs before I get back to anything like my fighting weight. I'm just so bloody hungry all the time.

Maladict

Quote from: Maladict on March 26, 2014, 07:30:12 AM
I might give this a shot in June  :ph34r:

Aaaaand, everybody wimped out as usual.  :mad:

Darth Wagtaros

Barbell squats continue to defeat me.  Deadlifts are scary.
PDH!

mongers

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on April 22, 2014, 07:54:23 AM
Doesn't sound at all failish to me. Why not enter a half or two to get your speed up?
I did a half in 1:54 in November, and based on my long runs (that are generally around half marathon distance) I think I could currently probably get that down closer to 1:50 if I pushed. That should mean I have the speed for a full marathon in 4 hours, but I'm really struggling to add distance. I really want to run the whole thing at a consistent pace, but I have been discovering that short breaks at a slow enough pace to reduce my heart rate really extends my distance. Which is basically what you and lusti told me.
I'm working out like a loon at the moment, but having a sharp reminder you can't out-exercise a bad diet. I really need to loose 30lbs before I get back to anything like my fighting weight. I'm just so bloody hungry all the time.

Does weight really matter? Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are in shape, exercise a good bit, and stay away from obnoxious levels of sweets, things will be okay. Exercising and dieting at the same time--I don't know if that is good.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on April 23, 2014, 08:51:57 PM
Does weight really matter? Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are in shape, exercise a good bit, and stay away from obnoxious levels of sweets, things will be okay. Exercising and dieting at the same time--I don't know if that is good.
"Less likely to drop dead" good, but "hot for age" is better  :P I have a school reunion in July and don't want to be the fat kid.

Anyway, I failed to take my own advice and overdid it. HIIT circuit classes broke me. Having got on the gym leader board for number of burpees in a minute, I've sprained by big toe joint through the unique combination of high impact and bent-back toes. So it's low impact (swimming, spinning, weight training) for a week or so, then I want to build up to this season's running. I've got a miler, 5K, 5 miler and 10K in conveniently ascending order between May and September.

mongers

Not doing much at the moment, though I'm probably as fit as I need to, or can be nowadays.

Might take a bike out this evening to do some exploring/go for a drink with a mate.

Tamas

I was quite coming into shape at least weight-wise last fall, being down to a whooping 82-84kgs. Which wasn't still that great as not that much of it was actual muscle :P but I was starting to get satisfied with it.
Which was clearly a mistake as I opened the floodgates of cheap nice food which are readily available here, so I am now back to 91kgs. :(
I am not really that fond of straight-out starving, so I have bought a couple of dumbbells with some weights to at least try and burn some of that excess energy.

I really miss my stationary bike from Hungary, but I resent the idea of going to a gym.  :yucky:

mongers

Are 'we' still doing fitness in 2014 ?

Popped out late afternoon on the bike, ended up doing a small circuit of the top of the New Forest, a little more than I'd plan, around 24 miles with a few hills thrown in. 

Quite a windy day, 20-30 mph with stronger gusts, which seemed against me for much of my triangular route. <_<
Had to stop at one point and remove my jumper, so I wouldn't be dragged over so much by the strong cross wind.   :)

PDH

Wind is the enemy here.  I have ridden down 6% grades into the teeth of 30 mph winds and spent much of the time on the pedals.  Coming back to town is often a chore if I leave too late.  To top it off, the wind blows almost every direction, just never from behind me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

alfred russel

I got a bit shown up today. I set out to do 10.6 miles. About the time I started running, two guys also set out, and we had about the same pace. They didn't quite go as far--10.0 miles, but they ran just a bit faster. I was talking to them after we finished our runs, and they said that before we started running they had just finished biking 40 miles in 2 hours. They do full ironmans.