Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2014, 08:24:37 PM
I slightly confused by the suggested Russian charge across southern Ukraine, even if they get there in good order and 'take' trans-denistra, which they already occupy (14th army??) they still end up with a narrow strip of land sandwiched between Moldova and SE Ukraine with limited access to the sea via a river.   :hmm:

Wouldn't something a little bigger make more sense, given the effort involved and likely repercussions ?

Well, once that Moldovian strip is part of Russia, it would make sense to secure access to it by occupying the Eastern and Southern Ukraine to ensure access. A purely defensive measure, of course, to protect supply routes from the fascists in Kiev, to restore order in those anarchic provinces, and to protect the local Russians from prosecution. Yes, it would remove Ukraine from sea access, but they don't have a navy anymore, anyways, do they?

At least that's what would make sense in a game like Europa Universalis.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

We should invite Putin to play Languish EU MP. At least nobody can complain that he doesn't engage in PvP. :P

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

I'm increasingly convinced that there's little/no realistic hope for Ukraine to become a functional, whole, democratic and economically successful nation.  Ukraine's population has done nothing but decline since 1991, and pensions now account for 18% of GDP and that's inevitably going to go up.  It's just not going to be able to survive the upheaval caused by EU economic reforms that are going to de-industrialize the economy but there's really no chance whatsoever that the EU or America will provide Marshall Plan-esque comprehensive investment, or that Ukraine's demographic, geographic or insanely corrupt political situation would make such foreign investment successful.   :(
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Now that you put it that way Spellus maybe we should just let the Russians take the whole thing.  It could be a poison pill.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PJL

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 04:49:10 PM
I'm increasingly convinced that there's little/no realistic hope for Ukraine to become a functional, whole, democratic and economically successful nation.  Ukraine's population has done nothing but decline since 1991, and pensions now account for 18% of GDP and that's inevitably going to go up.  It's just not going to be able to survive the upheaval caused by EU economic reforms that are going to de-industrialize the economy but there's really no chance whatsoever that the EU or America will provide Marshall Plan-esque comprehensive investment, or that Ukraine's demographic, geographic or insanely corrupt political situation would make such foreign investment successful.   :(

The thing that really shocked me about how bad Ukraine's economy is, is that it's GDP per capita is lower than Belarus and Kazakhstan. Hardly a good sign.

Queequeg

Frankly speaking I don't think that's a completely horrible idea.  This will be a substantial drain on Russian resources and continue to completely alienate themselves from the global community.  They'll sacrifice all hopes of modernization and economic integration so they could gain some measure of control over Eastern European Ohio. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: PJL on March 24, 2014, 04:52:51 PM

The thing that really shocked me about how bad Ukraine's economy is, is that it's GDP per capita is lower than Belarus and Kazakhstan. Hardly a good sign.
Kazakhstan has a lot of natural resources, a well-educated population that is almost entirely secular and has close economic ties with both China and Russia.  Belarus is really surprising though. 

Queequeg

Integrating Ukraine in to NATO sounds like a completely, totally horrible idea though.  Article 5 would mean that we'd automatically be involved if Eastern Ukraine ever tried to rebel against a Svoboda-esque nationalist party in Kiev. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 04:58:36 PM
Integrating Ukraine in to NATO sounds like a completely, totally horrible idea though.  Article 5 would mean that we'd automatically be involved if Eastern Ukraine ever tried to rebel against a Svoboda-esque nationalist party in Kiev.

?  Does Article 5 involve internal security matters?

Queequeg

Russian tanks would roll in to Kharkiv with the first shot fired. 

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 04:58:36 PM

You've been listening to too much RT.  Svoboda stories are vastly overblown.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

I'm talking 10-15 years from now after the near-inevitable disorders caused by economic reform.