News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 04, 2014, 05:42:06 PM
I think Russophilia can be observed on both the far left and the far right, how about that?  The far left are against everything remotely traditional the West is for.  The far right finds the Russian form of fascism ideologically appealing.

The two articles I got were mostly anti-government right wingers.  Conspiratorial libertarians.  I suspect that most American right wingers have little clue what Putin stands for.  They probably think he's an atheistic communist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 05:45:36 PM
And there's the anti-West on the left.

Sure I can get being anti-West but being pro-Russian?  Worst left wingers ever.  I mean that is like a Libertarian expressing his love for China....or actually Russia as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Well Russia Today's growing in popularity:
http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/world-affairs/2013/05/inside-russia-today-counterweight-mainstream-media-or-putins-mou
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/09/how-the-rt-network-built-a-us-audience.html

Needless to say we're cutting funding to the BBC World Service :bleeding:

Edit: Of course needless to say Greenwald's all over it:
http://www.salon.com/2012/04/18/attacks_on_rt_and_assange_reveal_much_about_the_critics/
QuoteLet's examine the unstated premises at work here. There is apparently a rule that says it's perfectly OK for a journalist to work for a media outlet owned and controlled by a weapons manufacturer (GE/NBC/MSNBC), or by the U.S. and British governments (BBC/Stars & Stripes/Voice of America), or by Rupert Murdoch and Saudi Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal (Wall St. Journal/Fox News), or by a banking corporation with long-standing ties to right-wing governments (Politico), or by for-profit corporations whose profits depend upon staying in the good graces of the U.S. government (Kaplan/The Washington Post), or by loyalists to one of the two major political parties (National Review/TPM/countless others), but it's an intrinsic violation of journalistic integrity to work for a media outlet owned by the Russian government. Where did that rule come from?

Also, while it's certainly true that the coverage of RT is at times overly deferential to the Russian government, that media outlet never mindlessly disseminated government propaganda to help to start a falsehood-fueled devastating war, the way that Alessandra Stanley's employer (along with most leading American media outlets) did. When it comes to destruction brought about by uncritical media fealty to government propaganda, RT — as the Russia expert Mark Adomanis documented when American media figures began attacking RT  – is far behind virtually all of the corporate employers of its American media critics.

Edit: Incidentally as well as giving Assange a show that New Statesman article gets the curious merging of the whole 'hacktivist' culture and Kremlin interests. It is very reminiscent of the German Peace Movement and CND in the 80s :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I block all news channels that come from creepy regimes.

CCTV? Blocked
Al-jaz? Blocked
MSNBC? Blocked
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 04, 2014, 06:16:02 PM
I block all news channels that come from creepy regimes.

CCTV? Blocked
Al-jaz? Blocked
MSNBC? Blocked

:D

Greenwald doubles down! :punk:

Why is that dodgy British pro-Saddam PM not weighing in Shelf?  This seems custom-made for him.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2014, 06:31:33 PM
Why is that dodgy British pro-Saddam PM not weighing in Shelf?  This seems custom-made for him.
George Galloway?

He's said the odd thing, not least on his own RT show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsBw0zjss8

Edit: Of course he's never been relevant. I think everyone's just tired of him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2014, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 05:45:36 PM
And there's the anti-West on the left.

Sure I can get being anti-West but being pro-Russian?  Worst left wingers ever.  I mean that is like a Libertarian expressing his love for China....or actually Russia as well.
I don't think that Yi ever said they were pro-Russian.  I certainly didn't get that impression.  But Stop The War will support anyone who would wage aggressive war against the West's interests.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

With Raz I have to read using the three-step process for critical reading:
(1) pre-read and anticipate;
(2) read and analyze;
(3) reread and annotate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Hansmeister

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2014, 05:22:22 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 05:13:32 PM
The position you take on who is at fault in this situation, seems to map pretty neatly onto leading anti-war figures. And the anti-war movement itself hasn't spent their time criticising Russia but blaming the US and the EU (see the Stop the War Coalitions '10 things about Crimea). There are honourable exceptions of course.

Having said that there's not been any surprises to me so far. Generally the hacks and politicians I'd expect to back Russia in this situation, have.

I looked it up. It is unbelieveable.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/news/ten-things-to-remember-about-the-crisis-in-ukraine-and-the-crimea

These people are like the leftists Orwell was writing about. 'Imperialist war is bad mkay ... oh, but if Russia is doing it ... '

I don't get it. Russia isn't even pretending to be Communist any more. Why are these folks still backing them?

Funny how you guys have finally caught up to what I was saying over a decade ago about the "anti war" movement. Back in 2002 I infiltrated some of their earliest gatherings and it was quite clear that they were all suffering from oikophobia "fear of the familiar".  Creatures of the west who feel the need to reject their own heritage.  I blame Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai, Avatar etc. ;)

crazy canuck

Hey Hans, we were just talking about the far right.

Jacob

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 04, 2014, 07:02:13 PMFunny how you guys have finally caught up to what I was saying over a decade ago about the "anti war" movement. Back in 2002 I infiltrated some of their earliest gatherings and it was quite clear that they were all suffering from oikophobia "fear of the familiar".  Creatures of the west who feel the need to reject their own heritage.  I blame Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai, Avatar etc. ;)

How's it going Hans?

Siege

So, let me get this right.
The anti-war movement is backing Russia?

I want to know what's Cindy Sheehan position on this war.

Siege

So, Cindy Sheehan run for office in 2008 against Pelosi.

"Sheehan ran on a platform of single-payer health care, media reform, overturning all free trade agreements, repealing the Patriot Act, renewable energy, nationalizing oil and electricity, ending the War on Drugs, legalizing cannabis, ensuring all talks in the Middle East are fair to all parties, ending torture, closing Guantanamo Bay detention camp, overseas commitment to cleaning up Superfund sites, ending deregulation, ending No Child Left Behind, and legalizing same-sex marriage. Sheehan lost the 2008 election to the incumbent Pelosi. In a seven-way race, Sheehan came in second with 46,118 votes (16.14%) to Pelosi's 71.56%."

I think she is a communist.

garbon

Quote from: Siege on March 04, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
So, Cindy Sheehan run for office in 2008 against Pelosi.

Duh, I posted about it at the time as she was someone I was eligible to vote for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.