And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2014, 07:09:45 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 07:05:00 PM
Is that Stephen Walt of Mearsheimer and Walt blaming the US for supporting Ukrainian democracy?
Stephen Walt ‏@StephenWalt  Mar 1
Amazing thing re #Ukraine: US & EU colluded to help oust corrupt but pro-Russ leader, yet expected Moscow to do nothing about it.
I think Mearsheimer was rather prescient:
http://mearsheimer.uchicago.edu/pdfs/A0020.pdf

Yes, quite prescient

Quotepp58. There is a second reason to favor a Ukrainian nuclear deterrent; it is inevitable. Ukraine is likely to keep its nuclear weapons, regardless of what other states say and do. American opposition would raise the risk of war between Russia and Ukraine.

Don't count the hits if you won't count the  misses.

I think Walt's tweets are fine in general.
https://twitter.com/StephenWalt
For example immediately before the one you quoted was this:
'Stephen Walt ‏@StephenWalt  Mar 1
Re #Ukraine I am beginning to think no one in White House ever thinks two moves ahead. #FallacyofLastMove'
I think together that's a very fair point.

Seriously, the guy can't both complain that the US isn't planning ahead all the while he blames the US for plotting regime change. Getting to the point where Yanukovitch has Berkut massacring civilians in the streets of Kiev takes more than a few moves ahead.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on March 02, 2014, 07:03:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 02, 2014, 06:54:49 PM
Some of the leftist boards I've trolled on in the past are hilarious with this situation because even though many of them are too young to have the weird communist love that lefties used to have for the USSR they almost by instinct start dredging up U.S. "cold war wrongs" and activities post-WWI by the West that in their minds fully justify everything Russia did from 1918-Today. But they're also big Obama fans so if he actually has an open clash with Putin it will be interesting to see what happens with them.
Yes, that'll be an interesting couple of hours until the missiles land.

Meh, I don't think they would decide to end the world because they got their nose bloodied in Ukraine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2014, 07:13:41 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 02, 2014, 07:11:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2014, 07:03:39 PM
See Glenn Greenwald too.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald
Useful idiots, at best.
CUNT!

Can you elaborate?
Putin has martyred a dozen brilliant journalists and this asshole can't stop making for apologies for him because he's fighting Amerikkka.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

LaCroix

Quote from: Queequeg on March 02, 2014, 07:21:17 PMPutin has martyred a dozen brilliant journalists and this asshole can't stop making for apologies for him because he's fighting Amerikkka.

people have different opinions

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on March 02, 2014, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 02, 2014, 07:21:17 PMPutin has martyred a dozen brilliant journalists and this asshole can't stop making for apologies for him because he's fighting Amerikkka.

And then there are people who rely on facts and evidence and we call bullshit on those opinions which are not supported by facts and evidence.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: LaCroix on March 02, 2014, 07:25:32 PM

Absolutely. My opinion is that Greenwald's a dick :P
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 07:31:44 PMAnd then there are people who rely on facts and evidence and we call bullshit on those opinions which are not supported by facts and evidence.

well yeah, but there's always going to be that group. my comment was more directed at a spellus getting a bit worked up over it

Admiral Yi

Is Greenwald the same dude who got pinched by Her Majesty's Secret Service over Snowden?

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on March 02, 2014, 07:36:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2014, 07:31:44 PMAnd then there are people who rely on facts and evidence and we call bullshit on those opinions which are not supported by facts and evidence.

well yeah, but there's always going to be that group. my comment was more directed at a spellus getting a bit worked up over it

look, if you are not even going to try to be in the group using facts and evidence I'm not going to waste any time on you....

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 07:36:21 PM
Is Greenwald the same dude who got pinched by Her Majesty's Secret Service over Snowden?
That was his boyfriend. Greenwald's the 'journalist' who said this in response to Miranda's (lawful) detention, 'I will be far more aggressive in my reporting from now. I am going to publish many more documents. I have many more documents on England's spy system. I think  they will be sorry for what they did.'

Also:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

I think Walt's tweets are fine in general.
https://twitter.com/StephenWalt

I think you've always had a weak spot for the loonies.  That you'd like Walt doesn't surprise me in the slightest, even when he talks about successful US and EU "collusion" and then claims that the US president (who just successfully colluded with the EU) doesn't think ahead.

The guy should pick his lie and stick to it.  When it comes to lying, quality is far more important than quality.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2014, 07:40:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 07:36:21 PM
That was his boyfriend. Greenwald's the 'journalist' who said this in response to Miranda's (lawful) detention, 'I will be far more aggressive in my reporting from now. I am going to publish many more documents. I have many more documents on England's spy system. I think  they will be sorry for what they did.'

Wasn't his boyfriend, you know, actually smuggling documents, as the British authorities claimed?  I don't know how anyone tolerates this asshole. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2014, 07:42:12 PM
I think you've always had a weak spot for the loonies.  That you'd like Walt doesn't surprise me in the slightest, even when he talks about successful US and EU "collusion" and then claims that the US president (who just successfully colluded with the EU) doesn't think ahead.
You can be surprised then, I don't like Walt. I just don't think there's much to criticise him on about this - unlike Greenwald.

I think the point he's making is valid. The US and EU backed the revolution but didn't think how they'd respond to a Russian intervention. At least I hope they hadn't thought that far ahead because that means they've just been surprised and taken a while to cobble together a policy. The grim alternative is they did think about the possibility of a Russian intervention and this is the masterplan unfolding.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2014, 07:42:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2014, 07:40:18 PM

It is a nice start.

He snipped the last paragraph, which said "As a result, we declare war.  The missiles are inbound.  We, the leaders of the free world, simply want to say to the Russian people, who equally suffer from the oppression of the current Russian government,

KYAG"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!