News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

A few days ago, VICE ran across some Chetniks "helping out" in Crimea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlLN9E2kcY

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Apparently Sunday's referendum is about whether Crimea goes to Russia or back to us. :w00t:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Manstein put a lot of work into that place.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

I'd have to go with Germany there.  Sure you might be resettled in the East to create living space for German settlement but at least the trains would run on time and the chances of winning the World Cup would be improved.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2014, 10:42:59 AM
at least the trains would run on time

You haven't been to Germany recently. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The existence of that billboard suggest the referendum will not be a *pure* sham.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 11:00:06 AM
The existence of that billboard suggest the referendum will not be a *pure* sham.

Sham-ish, more like?
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Tamas

Basically on the paper you will be able to choose between joining Russia or becoming independent. It is a total joke, organised by a 4% party put in power by Russian arms.

alfred russel

Seriously disagree with that. Many sham elections have included misleading and inflammatory propaganda.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Beenherebefore

It could be a tainted shamlike joke. Rather than you pure sham.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2014, 11:07:39 AM
Basically on the paper you will be able to choose between joining Russia or becoming independent. It is a total joke, organised by a 4% party put in power by Russian arms.

Is this speculation, or fact?

celedhring

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2014, 10:45:31 AM
And the food will be better.

German food or Russian food. Scylla or Charybdis.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 11:11:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2014, 11:07:39 AM

Is this speculation, or fact?

QuoteThere will be two options to choose from on the ballot with voters able to choose only one of them. The options, in synthesis, reflect the following stances:[30][31][32]
Option 1: Do you support joining Crimea as a federal subject of the Russian Federation?Option 2: Do you support restoration of 1992 Crimean Constitution and Crimea's status as a part of Ukraine?
The referendum will be decided by a simple majority with the option with the most votes declared winner.[d] Although the ballot uses question marks to portray the options, answers will not be given in the yes or no format. Instead, voters will be able to mark only one option, with ballots casted for both options declared invalid and therefore removing any possibility of a tie between the two. The ballots will also lack an against all option with voters forced to choose either one option or the other. The referendum text does not allow voters to vote for the status quo.[34]

Admiral Yi

:yeahright: I don't see independence listed there Tamas.