News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

A joint NATO defense of the Eastern border would be such a chaotic uncoordinated mess. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Boy, when the Leopards and the Abrams roll into Kharkov in a backhand blow it will be something.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

I dont think Putin's going to roll.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2014, 03:33:59 PM
The Guardian reports that Latvia and Lithuania have invoked NATO's article 4.

First time it's done by a non-Turkey nation.

I imagine if they want some assurances that NATO really would come to their aid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Apparently amongst the pro-Russian forces mobilized in Crimea there's a Russian biker gang called "The Night Wolves", whose leader, nicknamed "the surgeon" is a personal friend of Putin.

This is Mad Max-worthy.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: ReutersUkraine has asked NATO to look at all ways to protect its territorial integrity. Foreign Minister Sergei Deshchiritsya said he had held talks with officials from the United States and the European Union and then asked NATO for help after what Ukraine's prime minister described as Russian aggression.
A request had been made to NATO to "look at using all possibilities for protecting the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine, the Ukrainian people and nuclear facilities on Ukrainian territory," he said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Reading many user comments on Austrian sites that all of this is the logical consequence of the EU trying to expand its exploitative hegemony further East and that the West has no moral high ground as they support an illegal fascist putsch in Ukraine.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
Reading many user comments on Austrian sites that all of this is the logical consequence of the EU trying to expand its exploitative hegemony further East and that the West has no moral high ground as they support an illegal fascist putsch in Ukraine.

my opinion of Austrians isn't rising tbh. and it wasn't particularly high after that dude they exported to Germany.  <_<

Syt

It's about half the comments, with another half denouncing the Russians or calling for negotiations.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2014, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: ReutersUkraine has asked NATO to look at all ways to protect its territorial integrity. Foreign Minister Sergei Deshchiritsya said he had held talks with officials from the United States and the European Union and then asked NATO for help after what Ukraine's prime minister described as Russian aggression.
A request had been made to NATO to "look at using all possibilities for protecting the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine, the Ukrainian people and nuclear facilities on Ukrainian territory," he said.

It was always polite fiction on part of Putin that Crimea was an integral part of Ukraine. Now since it's trying to get out of Moscow's orbit, the leash is getting yanked. Nothing much will be done a-la Georgia so long as the Russians don't go crazy.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2014, 12:00:58 PM
Hopefully at least one good that will come out of this clusterfuck is that Americans will realize that Cold War isn't over, Russia is the enemy, and that excessive focus on terrorism was a grave mistake that sapped our power.

That came up in one of the Romney-Obama debates, didn't it?  IIRC Obama "schooled" Romney that Russia was not a big deal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2014, 04:27:28 PM

Typical.  Nothing whatsoever to do with rooting for the underdog.

Your adoptive country needs some serious psychotherapy dude.

Razgovory

Perhaps you can grace us with that schooling?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10669670/Ukraine-live-Crimea-leader-appeals-to-Putin-to-help-as-Obama-warns-of-costs-to-Moscow.html

QuoteRussia's ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin is giving a furious, defiant, denunciation of Western actions in the Ukraine, accusing the West of "spurring on continuation of confrontation" and provoking the uprising.
Samantha Power, the US ambassador to the UN, replied to the Russian tirade by saying that "actions speak louder than words", that the US was "deeply disturbed" by Russian deployment, adding "it is time for intervention to end".
Ambassador Power then accused Russia of staging dangerous provocations in Ukraine, and announcing that the US was working to stand up an international mediation mission to Ukraine.
Mark Lyall Grant, the UK ambassador, added that the "UK is deeply concerned by the escalation of tension in the Crimean peninsular" and has demanded a "full explanation" from the Russians over what it is doing in Crimea.
—Stephen Jay Gould