News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Family Guy Kills Off ...

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2013, 09:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I like Seth MacFarlane and enjoyed (at times) Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad but none of them remained watchable to me for more than 3-4 seasons. Family Guy in particular, after the long campaign to resurrect it, was never as funny in its new run as it was in those first three seasons. There are I think two problems with the MacFarlane shows over time:

1. He's almost every character. There's too much Seth, he's a funny guy but he's not funny enough to carry 80% of three shows or more (I can't even keep track of all the ones he has now, I know the Cleveland Show came to an end though.)

2. Absurdist shock humor makes you numb to the same over time, and when that is too much of the show it makes you numb to the entire show. I feel that's the problem across all of his shows. They're hilarious on first viewing, but have no repeat viewing quality. Classic comedies like the good years of the Simpson's, Cheers, Seinfeld and even contemporary show Futurama are all much more rewatchable because they don't rely on "surprising you" with some insane absurdist aside every 10-25 seconds.

dps

Quote from: sbr on November 26, 2013, 11:40:27 AM
I have never intentionally watched one minute of Family Guy.

Nor have I.  The times I've accidentally watched or been forced to watch a bit of it have never made me wish to do so on purpose.  Quite the opposite, actually.

Admiral Yi

I've watched one entire episode.  I think they inherited a mansion or something.

Phillip V

Stupid way to kill Brian off.

At least let him have sex with Lois to provide some closure.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on November 26, 2013, 09:12:56 PM
At least let him have sex with Lois to provide some closure.

No kidding.