News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much did WWI put Europe back?

Started by Razgovory, November 25, 2013, 05:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Something I'd been thinking about lately, and some comments by Shelf made me want to start a thread on it.  How much damage did the first World War do to Europe, economically speaking.  I know that wealth of the average American was greater then his European brethren  even before the war, and it certainly was after.  I imagine the gap widened as a result of the war.  Not only did the have an enormous cost in money, but the slaughter of  generation of men had to have had a devastating effect on the economy as well.

I
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Apparently it didn't set them back far enough, because they broke even more stuff in World War II.

WWI had lots of casualties, but at least their cities survived.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2013, 07:14:47 AM
Apparently it didn't set them back far enough, because they broke even more stuff in World War II.

WWI had lots of casualties, but at least their cities survived.

Well, when when round two came around our boys rode in trucks and theirs rode on horse drawn wagons.  So it was clear they were pretty far behind us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

No, that's just European quaintness.  Like how they still buy fresh bread daily and shit.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2013, 01:28:32 PM
No, that's just European quaintness.  Like how they still buy fresh bread daily and shit.

That fresh daily bread is delicious. Until you have to walk the next day to get more. Going shopping every day...ugh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2013, 04:01:39 PM
That fresh daily bread is delicious. Until you have to walk the next day to get more. Going shopping every day...ugh.

Just ride your bike there Pierre.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM

I don't do bikes. I'm not 12 anymore.

The Brain

Is there anything Americans do every day?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2013, 04:19:04 PM

Thank our Creator for the gift of citizenship in the greatest country in the world.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2013, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM

I don't do bikes. I'm not 12 anymore.
Get a Vespa.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2013, 04:23:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2013, 04:19:04 PM

Thank our Creator for the gift of citizenship in the greatest country in the world.

I don't think one can get citizenship in the Republic of Texas anymore :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."