News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Blame Ide for America's problems

Started by Sheilbh, November 21, 2013, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I generally agree with Ide, except that the single-income is certainly not a prerequisite to the middle class anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Yeah Sheilbh, that and values (which often correlates with quality of life and lifestyle).

And yeah Neil, I think the single-income family is in the purview of the upper middle class (your doctors and successful lawyers) and people in danger of dropping out of the middle class altogether. It's been that way for a while too.

Berkut

My single income is certainly making me a bit anxious. I like the wife not working, but I am very concerned it means we are not saving nearly enough for retirement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

The idea that median income makes a person middle class seems weird. That's not how the term is used for instance when talking about the emergence of a middle class in developing countries etc etc etc. My impression is that normally middle class involves being between the working class and the upper class.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2013, 02:35:30 AM
The idea that median income makes a person middle class seems weird. That's not how the term is used for instance when talking about the emergence of a middle class in developing countries etc etc etc. My impression is that normally middle class involves being between the working class and the upper class.

Yep.  By grumbler's and Yi's original metric, Zimbabwe has a thriving middle class.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2013, 10:53:47 PM
Yeah Sheilbh, that and values (which often correlates with quality of life and lifestyle).

And yeah Neil, I think the single-income family is in the purview of the upper middle class (your doctors and successful lawyers) and people in danger of dropping out of the middle class altogether. It's been that way for a while too.

I think this may be a concession to the state of things that I have to make.  The days of single income households are effectively over, for better or for (in fact) worse.

I'd very much like to see a return to it.  Unfortunately, our biology (?) is a real stumbling block.  No one wants to see women out of the workforce.  However, once they enter, they depress wages (which may be good but is probably bad); men can't leave because few women wish to be sole breadwinners, and given our programming (or their, if you insist), will resist the idea.  Since almost all men will still be under sexual pressure to get jobs, and most women will still want to work to have a measure of financial independence, the upshot is that single income middle class households are impossible due to wage stagnation in the lower orders; and only unreconstructed women who manage to marry into the upper orders will find themselves in single income households of any appreciable wealth.

I dunno, I don't wanna sound like a Drakken here.  I don't know if this is a purely biological issue--with regret, I suspect it is--or a social one that can be overcome.  A return to Rockwellian innocence is what I'm after.  Though of course there are manifold serious problems inherent in the concept, which I am not at this moment prepared to address.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2013, 09:38:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
I'm done.

Your fans lament.

Ide, there's no way median salary is not in the middle class.  We're not the UK, where middle class is defined by occupation.  If you earn an income smack dab in the middle then by definition you're in the middle class.
So, if 99% of the people earn $0, and the other 1% earns $100,000,000, then everyone is at least a middle class, right?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on November 23, 2013, 02:37:59 AM
Yep.  By grumbler's and Yi's original metric, Zimbabwe has a thriving middle class.

No, by my original metric Zimbabwe has a shit middle class.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on November 22, 2013, 09:46:14 PM
Being middle class involves certain prerequisites.  Outside of silly places like NYC or SF, one of those is home ownership, or at least ability to own a home.  Another is ability to support a spouse and children if need be.

I didn't know that Britain lacks a middle class (home ownership there is low).
Quote from: Ideologue on November 22, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
As noted above, ability to own a modest home, ability to own two used cars, ability to support a normal nuclear family on one income (support defined as feed and clothe), ability to support a modest hobby, and an expectation that you will retain those abilities for the foreseeable future.

So, no middle class until the invention of the automobile? :hmmm:

Generally, middle class has been defined as the ability to buy all the necessities of life, and still have enough left over to purchase some luxuries.  That, I have certainly been able to do on a median income.  So can you.

defining middle class simply as what being able to afford what you want to have but cannot now afford, so you can define yourself as being working-class, is just circular reasoning.  What would you want with two cars, anyway?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 23, 2013, 09:52:22 AM
Generally, middle class has been defined as the ability to buy all the necessities of life, and still have enough left over to purchase some luxuries.  That, I have certainly been able to do on a median income.  So can you.

That's how I always kind judged it.  Enough to pay the bills, sock some away, and afford a toy or two.

I don't think Ide's come to grips with the fact that getting a law degree didn't immediately place him in the landed gentry.  It's unfortunate.  It may just take a while, Ide.
defining middle class simply as what being able to afford what you want to have but cannot now afford, so you can define yourself as being working-class, is just circular reasoning.  What would you want with two cars, anyway?

I kinda liked having two cars;  used the work car to keep the mileage off the play car.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Yeah, in the middle of 1% and .1%.

Fascist fuckstick.

Ed Anger

Please. Online tests said I was a 2%er.

CountDeMoney

Do you check the box on your tax form for your declared income like Colbert does, the one marked "Let's just say we're comfortable"?

Ed Anger

I don't watch Colbert. He isn't funny.