News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash Rewards for Good Grades?

Started by Admiral Yi, November 14, 2013, 04:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

No, internalized guilt was enough to make me dread getting less than perfect grades, as I did in my STEM ( :lol:) classes.

I did get Lotto tickets for being good during my excruciating dental procedures, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Never got anything for good grades (given how poor we were, that's probably not a surprise), and I never gave anything for good grades.

That being said, my ex has told Riley that if she maintains straight-A's all through high school, he'll buy her the car of her choice. Probably not the smartest move on his part, since she's always gotten straight-A's so it's not much of a struggle for her, and right now she's eyeing a 1977 red Ferrari. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2013, 04:07:30 PM
Did you get them?

Do you give them now if you're a parent?

Do you think they're a good idea?
My friends were receiving money every time they had 60+.  I suggested my parents did the same, but they disagreed :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on November 14, 2013, 06:13:35 PM
Never got anything for good grades (given how poor we were, that's probably not a surprise), and I never gave anything for good grades.

That being said, my ex has told Riley that if she maintains straight-A's all through high school, he'll buy her the car of her choice. Probably not the smartest move on his part, since she's always gotten straight-A's so it's not much of a struggle for her, and right now she's eyeing a 1977 red Ferrari. :D

Notify that girl of the Bugatti Veyron. List price? Around 2.5 million.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on November 14, 2013, 06:13:35 PM

I think he's planning on teaching her a valuable life lesson, people are invariable not as good as their word and are a general let-down.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I would give a child $1000 for each A in math, science, technology, and foreign language classes.  A's in English and history would involve a sober discussion after dinner.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Why would your American child need to know a foreign language? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

They tried everything;  cash, pain compliance, let-him-do-it, etc.

The only thing that ever really worked was around Xmas in 9th grade;  Dad ordered a game from Avalon Hill for Xmas, and decided to order a copy of Avalon Hill's Third Reich as well--to be used as a "reward" for good grades at the end of the year, and it sat on a shelf in the dining room from January to May.

So there it sat, for 5 agonizingly long months, staring at me through its shrinkwrap.  I think I memorized the text on the back of the box.  But I got straight Bs the rest of the way, and that was enough.

MadImmortalMan

My mom is a teacher, so she knew grades were mostly bullshit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2013, 04:17:15 PM
I got nothing for getting good grades-- just punishment for getting bad grades.

Funny how parents tend to adhere to that philosophy.  Like I was "expected" to get good grades.
Goddammit, there was no way I was going to do good in school, simply because everybody expected me to.
But in the end, I won and showed them all--demanding parents and all those fascist teachers--by doing exactly jack shit and not amounting to anything in life.  :smarty:

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2013, 07:46:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2013, 04:17:15 PM
I got nothing for getting good grades-- just punishment for getting bad grades.

Funny how parents tend to adhere to that philosophy.  Like I was "expected" to get good grades.
Goddammit, there was no way I was going to do good in school, simply because everybody expected me to.
But in the end, I won and showed them all--demanding parents and all those fascist teachers--by doing exactly jack shit and not amounting to anything in life.  :smarty:

My friend, this is bullshit of a high order; a life can be redeemed by just one right act, though you might not realise it at the time; some of the people who peddle the 'amounting to something in life' are cowards, who lack the imagination to do anything out of the norm, the norm set by similar dullards who went before them. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I never got them though I heard of some kids who did, which annoyed me to no end- I usually got decent grades but no reward, the one time he actually pulls something off he recieved £20. Travesty.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2013, 07:35:53 PM
Why would your American child need to know a foreign language? :huh:
why does one need history or philosophy at all?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Fate

Didn't really get money for grades per se. But my parents would basically buy any computer game I wanted with the implicit understanding that the gravy train was dependent upon doing well academically.