Far-right leader's demand for list of Jews spurs outrage in Hungary

Started by viper37, November 05, 2013, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link

By ReutersBUDAPEST -- Around 10,000 Hungarians protested on Sunday against the far-right opposition Jobbik party, after one of its lawmakers triggered outrage and memories of Nazism by calling for lists of Jews to be drawn up.
The rally outside Budapest's parliament brought together leaders from governing and opposition parties in an unprecedented show of unity in the country's deeply divided political scene.
"We cannot allow things which belong to the darkest pages of history books to repeat themselves," Antal Rogan, head of the ruling Fidesz party's parliamentary group, told demonstrators who waved national flags and demanded the resignation of Jobbik MP Marton Gyongyosi.
On Monday Gyongyosi, one of Jobbik's 44 lawmakers in the 386-seat parliament, said after a debate on fighting in the Gaza Strip it would be "timely" to tally up people of Jewish ancestry in Hungary who posed a national security risk.
[...]

What could possibly go wrong with such a list?  It's not like we've seen it before...

I wonder if this party has a solid base, or if it was a just a temporary vote of frustration.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Syt

In unrelated news, a church in Budapest  recently unveiled a statue dedicated to the memory of Admiral Horthy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2013, 12:27:51 PM
In unrelated news, a church in Budapest  recently unveiled a statue dedicated to the memory of Admiral Horthy.

Your point being? At least in connection to this thread given that Horthy protected Hungary's Jews until he was overthrown by the Germans and their Nazi aligned Hungarian puppet party. There's a reason that most of Hungary's Holocaust victims died in 1944-5.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

They recently built a monument to a Nebraska Admiral in Washington.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on November 05, 2013, 11:48:43 AM
:secret: Look at the date on that article.
duh!

I just saw this on someone's FB and searched for an english version.  That'll teach me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien