DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Ooh, my 19th great grandfather was the first recorded speaker of the House of Commons.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
Ooh, my 19th great grandfather was the first recorded speaker of the House of Commons.

I am descended from Charlemagne and so are you!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2017, 12:38:53 PM

:punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2017, 08:12:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2017, 07:35:10 PM
Hey! I claim Normandy for the Hawkins line. Pretenders will be flogged.

I'll relinquish all claims in exchange for Calvados.

I will not knuckle under. Surrender your claim immediately.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2017, 12:38:53 PM

All I got was Mitt Romney. :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2017, 12:57:32 PM
More proof that intelligence in modern society is being selected against by natural selection

Counter point is the impressive fecundity of BB and I right?

Been around the world and found only stupid people are breeding. The cretins cloning and feeding. And I don't even own a tv.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2017, 05:33:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2017, 11:15:05 AM

Our most interesting ancestor was "half-hanged Mary" - a woman accused of witchcraft and hanged ... who survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Webster_(alleged_witch)

An account of her witchery: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/evans/N00392.0001.001/1:6?rgn=div1;view=fulltext;q1=Witchcraft

What better proof of witchcraft is that? ;)

True.  :hmm:

Her neighbors no doubt regretted messing with her.

On a side note, my wife heard of an actual witch in Ukraine (well, someone *claiming* to be a witch). I don't mean someone into Wicca, which is basically New Age pagan revivalism - I mean someone who claimed to be able to work evil using black magic, for money, old-style - and earned a living at it. It wasn't clear whether she was simply a fraud, or dabbled in providing poison to nasty folks, or a bit of both.

She heard of this person because a work acquaintance of hers was jilted badly by her boyfriend, and went to this person to get revenge on him; then boasted of it. My wife found this utterly unacceptable fro several reasons and dropped them as a buddy.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

Why on earth would anyone pay for that in the age of the internet?

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

The level of service you get from local, independent witches just can't be matched by faceless internet witches.

derspiess

I found a Huguenot ancestor.  Also found a guy who was the surgeon for the Londonderry Regiment under siege by the Jacobites in 1689.  He died of exhaustion shortly before the siege was lifted.

I guess my anti-Catholicism goes way back :D

Valmy

I also have a Huguenot ancestor who served in that campaign. Though he went on to be a pirate in the Caribbean. Small gene pool eh?

Barrister

My understanding is that if you wanted to trace back my dad's line you hit a huge brick wall as soon as you the generation before they came to Canada - we don't know where precisely in Ukraine (well, Russia or Austria in those days) they came from, and even if we did the records would likely have been demolished in a little tiff called WWII.

SOme day when I have a spare $200 I wouldn't mind seeing what a DNA ancestry check would have to say.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.