News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Domestic partners gain in Nevada

Started by garbon, June 01, 2009, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/01/BAU317UJUO.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

QuoteNevada's Assembly voted Sunday evening to override Gov. Jim Gibbons' veto and to change state law so that domestic partners, whether gay or straight, have many of the rights and benefits that Nevada offers to married couples.

The Assembly's 28-14 vote - the bare two-thirds majority needed - followed the state Senate's vote a day earlier to enact the measure over the conservative Republican governor's objections.

The bill provides that domestic partners have the same rights as married couples in matters such as community property and responsibility for debts. It also prohibits discrimination against domestic partners.

Critics contended that domestic partners can sign private contracts to accomplish many of the goals of the bill, and that it conflicted with the intent of Nevadans who voted in 2002 for a constitutional amendment supporting marriage between a man and a woman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090601/ap_on_re_us/us_cheney

QuoteFormer Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he supports gays being able to marry but believes states, not the federal government, should make the decision.

"I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said in a speech at the National Press Club. "I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish, any kind of arrangement they wish."

Cheney, who has a gay daughter, said marriage has always been a state issue.

"And I think that's the way it ought to be handled today, that is, on a state-by-state basis. Different states will make different decisions. But I don't have any problem with that. I think people ought to get a shot at that," he said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Ooh, Cheney's good. Meanwhile, Obama has declared this gay pride month.  :bleeding:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on June 01, 2009, 05:48:03 PM
Ooh, Cheney's good. Meanwhile, Obama has declared this gay pride month.  :bleeding:

Bill Clinton did the same. I don't think it is so much of a declaration but an honoring.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Strix

The irony of the situation is that homosexuals are rapidly gaining the benefits of their partners just as most companies and organizations are cutting back on those benefits and/or raising the costs to make them unaffordable/unattractive.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher