News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buying food for homeless

Started by merithyn, October 29, 2013, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

There's a gentleman who hangs out in the mall that I work at. He's disheveled and carries a battered bag with him wherever he goes. Every morning, when I go upstairs to get my oatmeal at the food Co-Op, he's sitting at one of their tables, nursing a coffee, huddled over old newspapers that he's reading.

This morning, I bought him oatmeal for breakfast. He didn't know that I'd done it. I asked the cashier to tell him when he came back in for a refill that someone had gotten it, and then didn't end up buying it. It wasn't a big deal - $2 - but it would mean hot food for him. I don't know that the guy is homeless, but he's clearly somewhat destitute, and when I went up for lunch, the cashier said that he was grateful for the meal.

I don't generally give money to beggars. I'd rather buy them lunch or a hot coffee. But how does one do that without potentially insulting the person? I'd set up an account for the man and pay it each week if it meant that he got coffee and breakfast every day, but how does one go about doing that not knowing the person's situation?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

The fuck you messing with the 47% for?  Woman's lost her mind.

Richard Hakluyt

Some day someone will do this for me and then I'll have to go clothes shopping  :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 29, 2013, 12:16:13 PM
Some day someone will do this for me and then I'll have to go clothes shopping  :(

That's actually part of why this is so delicate. I know plenty of men who go out looking a bit... disheveled. :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2013, 12:10:24 PM
There's a gentleman who hangs out in the mall that I work at. He's disheveled and carries a battered bag with him wherever he goes. Every morning, when I go upstairs to get my oatmeal at the food Co-Op, he's sitting at one of their tables, nursing a coffee, huddled over old newspapers that he's reading.

This morning, I bought him oatmeal for breakfast. He didn't know that I'd done it. I asked the cashier to tell him when he came back in for a refill that someone had gotten it, and then didn't end up buying it. It wasn't a big deal - $2 - but it would mean hot food for him. I don't know that the guy is homeless, but he's clearly somewhat destitute, and when I went up for lunch, the cashier said that he was grateful for the meal.

I don't generally give money to beggars. I'd rather buy them lunch or a hot coffee. But how does one do that without potentially insulting the person? I'd set up an account for the man and pay it each week if it meant that he got coffee and breakfast every day, but how does one go about doing that not knowing the person's situation?

I know it's personally more satisfying to give a hot meal to a specific person, it's generally much more socially beneficial to give the money to your local food bank / homeless shelter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

If he didn't want to be poor or destitute, he'd make more money.  That's the American Way(tm).
Some people just need to mind their own business.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:18:54 PM
I know it's personally more satisfying to give a hot meal to a specific person, it's generally much more socially beneficial to give the money to your local food bank / homeless shelter.

What makes you think that I don't do that, too?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2013, 12:17:22 PM

That's actually part of why this is so delicate. I know plenty of men who go out looking a bit... disheveled. :blush:

Yeah, I was partly joking but many of my friends would meet his description, there seems to be a strong correlation with excellent degrees in maths or physics and a certain disregard for sartorial standards..........or maybe it's just my friends  :P

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 29, 2013, 12:25:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2013, 12:17:22 PM

Yeah, I was partly joking but many of my friends would meet his description, there seems to be a strong correlation with excellent degrees in maths or physics and a certain disregard for sartorial standards..........or maybe it's just my friends  :P

There's a quiz for that:

Prof or hobo?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 29, 2013, 12:25:10 PM

And we live near a campus of some of the top engineers in the country.... you see my quandary. ;)

derspiess

Not too difficult to tell them apart downtown here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I've never seen a professor sleeping on a grate covered in newspaper.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom