You cannot make this shit up - Two football officials arrested.

Started by Berkut, October 29, 2013, 10:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2013, 12:08:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2013, 11:58:41 AM
Well, cops are not notorious for their smarts and are notorious for their egos, so none of this surprises me.  Just as I am sure that the city won't be surprised when they get sued for false imprisonment.  But I bet the cop keeps his job, because it is hard to find people dumb and egotistical enough to replace fired cops.

Nah.  Cop makes (is ordered to) a grovelling apology.  Police benevolent association makes a nice donation to the high school football team.  Matter gets swept under the rug because you don't want to distract from high school football.

And meanwhile tow guys doing their job have arrest records and mugshots.

I would sue.

I don't know.  Don't you think that causing a scene by suing is likely to make you be seen as a rabble rouser, and less likely to get good reffing jobs?

While arrest records don't go away, there are arrest records, and there are arrest records.  Sounds like these two guys were arrested, but not even charged (or if charged, charges very quickly withdrawn).  Mugshots and fingerprints can be expunged.

Grumbles fairly points out the refs don't work for the team.  Fair point.  Donation still gets made, and these refs get promised a nice tryout next season for some low-ranking college games in return for not suing.

And berk - yes somehow I managed to miss the big friggin bridge right down the middle of the lake. :frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

The arrest record alone would suffice to make them almost unemployable in the United States.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

These guys are long time high school officials, who are apparently pretty well respected (they've both worked state championship games).

This probably won't really hurt their officiating careers in any case - it is an extreme enough situation that if anything will likely get them more games since ADs are likely to think next year "Hey, that is that guy who got arrested! That was total bullshit, I am going to give him a game or two...".

But who knows really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Prior to 9/11 I used to get on the field for Bengals away games & just hang out to watch the game.  Nobody ever said anything to me.  I used to bring as many as three people along with me-- told them just act like you belong there & nothing will happen.  Nowadays if you're on the sideline & not performing a specific function related to the game or team, you'll be asked to leave, regardless of your credentials.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:25:11 PM
I don't know.  Don't you think that causing a scene by suing is likely to make you be seen as a rabble rouser, and less likely to get good reffing jobs?

Why would suing for this outrageous conduct be causing a scene?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2013, 12:45:43 PM

Lawyers don't think twice about suing.  But football is an old boys club, and old boys don't go suing each other.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2013, 12:45:43 PM

Lawyers don't think twice about suing. 

:huh:

Not sure why you think that either.

DGuller

And berk - yes somehow I managed to miss the big friggin bridge right down the middle of the lake. :frusty:
It happens to the best of us.  :(

Barrister

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2013, 12:40:02 PM
These guys are long time high school officials, who are apparently pretty well respected (they've both worked state championship games).

This probably won't really hurt their officiating careers in any case - it is an extreme enough situation that if anything will likely get them more games since ADs are likely to think next year "Hey, that is that guy who got arrested! That was total bullshit, I am going to give him a game or two...".

But who knows really.
I'm sure that their officiating jobs will be fine.  I'm more concerned about their day jobs.  Although if these guys are old enough, it might not matter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2013, 02:07:21 PM
I'm sure that their officiating jobs will be fine.  I'm more concerned about their day jobs. 

If BB was their employer they would be screwed either way.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2013, 02:10:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2013, 02:07:21 PM
I'm sure that their officiating jobs will be fine.  I'm more concerned about their day jobs. 

If BB was their employer they would be screwed either way.
BB is a public servant. 

grumbler

Lawyers don't think twice about suing.  But football is an old boys club, and old boys don't go suing each other.

The guy being sued is a city employee.  I don't think he counts as an "old boy," especially considering he was supporting the visiting team.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

The guy being sued is a city employee.  I don't think he counts as an "old boy," especially considering he was supporting the visiting team.

He's a lieutenant in a small town police force.  In that context, sure he is.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2013, 01:19:11 PM
It happens to the best of us.  :(

Fucked up, yo.