News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malala on the Daily Show

Started by Jacob, October 11, 2013, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2013, 02:29:49 PM
Obama hasn't been able to repeat the enormous achievement that gave him the Prize.
He got that for being elected didn't he? He has since got re-elected.
PDH!

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2013, 03:21:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2013, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
She definitely knew her lines.

These are almost word for word exactly the same lines she used with a Canadian interviewer.

after being asked the same question a hundred times you use the same answers again and again.

It wasn't meant as a dig. Rather, it's clearly something that she knows well, and knows how to express it.

Quote from: citizen k on October 11, 2013, 02:26:50 PM
That's a lame excuse, the same thing happens to much older winners.

Sure, but they have less time to feel like they've not lived up to something. She's 16. If she's lucky, she's got another 70 years ahead of her. That's a long time to feel badly if you don't do anything else of import.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 11, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2013, 02:29:49 PM
Obama hasn't been able to repeat the enormous achievement that gave him the Prize.
He got that for being elected didn't he? He has since got re-elected.

If he was re-elected where's his second Prize?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

These are almost word for word exactly the same lines she used with a Canadian interviewer.

after being asked the same question a hundred times you use the same answers again and again.

Different questions though.  Stewart asked her about when she first encountered the Taliban and the Canadian interview asked about what she would do if she went back to Packistan and met the Taliban.  In both instances she used the shoe story word for word.  Probably because the answer works in both contexts.

I am just observing that she has been well prepared for this media blitz and knows her lines well - As Meri already observed.  I admire her for her poise.  I dont know any adults who would hold up as well as she has done so impressively.

Josephus

CC's been saying the same thing for years

:lol: ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2013, 05:37:41 PM

CC's been saying the same thing for years

:lol: ;)

You are comparing me to Malala?  I am honoured but your praise is misplaced.

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
Sure, but they have less time to feel like they've not lived up to something. She's 16. If she's lucky, she's got another 70 years ahead of her. That's a long time to feel badly if you don't do anything else of import.
I'm a little uncomfortable with the situation. But she's incredibly admirable and I hope she can do what she wants which is to get her education and then return to Pakistan and make some waves.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2013, 06:03:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
I'm a little uncomfortable with the situation. But she's incredibly admirable and I hope she can do what she wants which is to get her education and then return to Pakistan and make some waves.

Pakistan politics is so murky, she'd probably be assassinated before she made any more waves.

Personally I think she deserved the prize for what she's done so far and what she might achieve in future outside of the country.

Such a reward might also give her the opportunity to put a line under the past and her campaign, if she then wants to settle down or follow a professional career not in international activism then good on her. 

She is after all still only 16 years and a lot can change in the next formative 4-5 years of life. No need to pressurise someone so young into a very stressful career in the limelight.

We also don't know the long term medical ramifications of the head injuries, incidentally her possible difficulty using the appropriate voice volume might be a consequence of those injuries.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2013, 06:37:22 PM
Pakistan politics is so murky, she'd probably be assassinated before she made any more waves.
No doubt, but she's at risk regardless.

I think better that she can fade away from the news and have the chance of enjoying her education for a while than continue to be a Western cause celebre.

If she chooses to do something else then I'm sure she'll still deserve the prize at a future date for the work of her foundation.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2013, 06:37:22 PM
No doubt, but she's at risk regardless.

Just to clarify, I meant a racing certainly, like a 50+% of being assassinated within a year of returning.

At least over here, it might be a deranged local fundamentalist or she could be killed if we experienced a febrile atmosphere like that experienced in mid-60s America

Also in the West, elements of the security services won't be actively colluding with potential assassins, like they do in Pakistan.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"