News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malala on the Daily Show

Started by Jacob, October 11, 2013, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

merithyn

We watched it when it aired. Yeah, she's pretty remarkable. It was fun watching Jon Stewart interview her, too. He was astoundingly gentle with her.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 01:10:32 PM
We watched it when it aired. Yeah, she's pretty remarkable. It was fun watching Jon Stewart interview her, too. He was astoundingly gentle with her.

I thought it was quite interesting how she almost kicked into oratory mode when speaking.

merithyn

Admiral Yi

She's awesome.

Why didn't she win the Nobel?

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2013, 01:56:10 PM
She's awesome.

Why didn't she win the Nobel?

There was concern over her age. A number of former Nobel Peace Prize winners came out and said that it may not be in her best interest to win it at her age. It set a standard that she may never be able to live up to.

I'm not sure that I agree, but they did raise some interesting points.

The Brain

She can still win The Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. It's no Nobel Prize, but might work as consolation prize.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

I could see her winning it another year. We're going to continue to see a lot of her, I think.... I hope.

citizen k

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 01:59:22 PM
There was concern over her age. A number of former Nobel Peace Prize winners came out and said that it may not be in her best interest to win it at her age. It set a standard that she may never be able to live up to.

That's a lame excuse, the same thing happens to much older winners.

The Brain

Obama hasn't been able to repeat the enormous achievement that gave him the Prize.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Saw that one live, she is pretty awesome.

It was interesting to see how Stewart treated the Secretary from the Administraion the night before compare to the kid gloves he used on her. Not inappropriate of course, but interesting.

I look at her, then look at my 13 year old son, and yeah, he has some work to do.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on October 11, 2013, 02:26:50 PM
That's a lame excuse, the same thing happens to much older winners.

Agree.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2013, 02:34:00 PM
I look at her, then look at my 13 year old son, and yeah, he has some work to do.

I think she said it best, you dont know how important something is until it is taken from you.  We in North America take education for granted and we as parents have a bit of a battle convincing them how important it is.

Plus, she is 16, he has a few years to get nominated.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
She definitely knew her lines.

These are almost word for word exactly the same lines she used with a Canadian interviewer.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2013, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
She definitely knew her lines.

These are almost word for word exactly the same lines she used with a Canadian interviewer.

after being asked the same question a hundred times you use the same answers again and again.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.