Health Canada presides over birth of billion-dollar free market in marijuana

Started by jimmy olsen, September 29, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Regarding the hard drugs (cocaine, heroine, meth ...) my gut feeling is to hit the pushers/producers hard, but be comparatively soft to consumers. Give them a slap on the wrist and put them in rehab, not jail.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2013, 11:21:43 PM
Yeah, I'd legalize cocaine too. Maybe even heroin.

I'd obviously try to manage it somewhat, but then again... I believe my government can actually do]/i] stuff.

Legalizing drugs would seem to be an admission that government can't do something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on September 30, 2013, 07:54:22 AM
Hard drugs are kinda legal in Portugal and it hasn't been the end of the world.

You need the hard drugs to deal with the Klingon ambassador.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Sure it has.  Coked-out Brazilians are always rubbing people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Neil on September 30, 2013, 08:15:38 AM
Sure it has.  Coked-out Brazilians are always rubbing people.

Only in the bitch.

Barrister

I've read up on Portugal, and they aren't legal at all.  What they do is heavy emphasis on treatment for end users, rather than punishment.  But the dealers still get punished.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2013, 09:16:21 AM

I've read up on Portugal, and they aren't legal at all.  What they do is heavy emphasis on treatment for end users, rather than punishment.  But the dealers still get punished.

That's why I said kinda, because I'm iffy on the details, but the thing is that posession of small amounts and consumption are depenalized, and reduced to an administrative fine plus you have to be reviewed by a panel of doctors and social workers to check on you if you're a recidivist, or something like that.

Valmy

Wow look BB!  There are indeed more than two policies besides the insane and self-destructive war on drugs and legalized drugs for all. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 30, 2013, 10:05:54 AM

That's why I said kinda, because I'm iffy on the details, but the thing is that posession of small amounts and consumption are depenalized, and reduced to an administrative fine plus you have to be reviewed by a panel of doctors and social workers to check on you if you're a recidivist, or something like that.

The laws are very liberal for people having small quantities indeed.
The heavy emphasis on treatment for end uses is for Portuguese citizens only though.
The Larch, being Galician is a quasi-(Northern)Portuguese so that's why he does not make the distinction. ;)

The Larch

Well, I don't intend to get busted in Portugal for posession, so excuse me if I didn't research it properly.  :lol:

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on September 30, 2013, 10:20:49 AM
Well, I don't intend to get busted in Portugal for posession, so excuse me if I didn't research it properly.  :lol:

One of the Larchettes is gonna take the fall for you, eh?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

I don't know what the policy is in Spain, but you have to try really hard to land in jail as a consumer. I've sat literally in front of a patrol car with my buddies while they were snorting coke/speed and the cops didn't bat an eye.

I do know a couple guys who ended in jail. One was dealing and the other was an idiot. He was so wasted he actually jumped into a police car and started bragging about all the shit he had on him. When the cops tried to shut him off and give him a ride home he actually emptied his pockets to prove his point. He had just bought supplies to last the whole holidays for him and his friends, so he had over the limit and spent six months in prison. The day he told me the story he was really happy: he had just received his HIV results, negative.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2013, 11:21:43 PM
Yeah, I'd legalize cocaine too. Maybe even heroin.

I'd obviously try to manage it somewhat, but then again... I believe my government can actually do]/i] stuff.
It worked wonders with alcohol and tobacco.  zero contraband now, zeron health&social problems.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on September 30, 2013, 10:20:49 AM

There's no shame in contingency planning.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)