Leading Scientists Weigh In on the Mother of All Climate Reports

Started by Syt, September 27, 2013, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2013, 04:24:05 AM
Gary Novak, that name sounds familiar, is that the guy who claims all physics since Newton is a conspiracy?

Yes, same guy.

Still, it's nice that the anti-scientist conservative right wing of the U.S. can find some common ground with Russian populist media. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2013, 04:24:05 AM
Gary Novak, that name sounds familiar, is that the guy who claims all physics since Newton is a conspiracy?
Sure. Discredit the guy if you can't discredit the argument.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2013, 09:03:25 PM

Sure. Discredit the guy if you can't discredit the argument.

Siege, have another shot of Coors Light and don't change.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2013, 09:19:14 PM
WTF? I almost puked when I saw that picture.

:lol:

All the Hannity-watching you do hasn't stopped you from being an Un-American commie.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2013, 09:19:14 PM
WTF? I almost puked when I saw that picture.
That's suspiciously close to what a Muslim would say.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2013, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2013, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 09:52:53 AM
Quotethe acidification of the ocean is happening a lot faster than anybody thought that it would, it's sucking up more CO2, plankton, the basic food chain of the planet, are dying

I think this is the scariest thing of all.

Well besides the fact there are people like derspiess

I have an local acquaintance who's a well respected oceanographic scientist in that field, I wonder what his take on it is?

Ask him, then let us know :)

Yes I will, I've got a project I need his advice on, so need to drop him a line anyway.

Last time we chatted he was not far from concluding the time had passed and we now have to actively start managing the climate.

Hey mongers, I may have missed a post - did you get a chance to talk to your friend?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2013, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2013, 05:41:31 PM
Quotethe acidification of the ocean is happening a lot faster than anybody thought that it would, it's sucking up more CO2, plankton, the basic food chain of the planet, are dying

Well besides the fact there are people like derspiess

I have an local acquaintance who's a well respected oceanographic scientist in that field, I wonder what his take on it is?

Ask him, then let us know :)

Yes I will, I've got a project I need his advice on, so need to drop him a line anyway.

Last time we chatted he was not far from concluding the time had passed and we now have to actively start managing the climate.

Hey mongers, I may have missed a post - did you get a chance to talk to your friend?

No, I need to draft a proposal first, which I then need some help with.  So probably end of the month.

I won't forget to get back to you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

As a follow up the local shell fish and scallop industry (going down to as far as Oregon iirc) is failing because the ocean is becoming too acidic for the shells for form properly.  The industry is attempting to find a species of shell fish or some genetic manipulation that will tolerate higher levels of acidity in the ocean.

By the way - where is Mongers?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2014, 03:50:05 PM

As a follow up the local shell fish and scallop industry (going down to as far as Oregon iirc) is failing because the ocean is becoming too acidic for the shells for form properly.  The industry is attempting to find a species of shell fish or some genetic manipulation that will tolerate higher levels of acidity in the ocean.

By the way - where is Mongers?

Yeah, I saw that too. About 10 million scallops died, apparently.