News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Iormlund

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 29, 2013, 07:16:45 PM
:rolleyes: Germany doesn't have single payer.  The UK does, and it is known as the worst health care system in the western world.

Spain is mostly single payer and the overwhelming majority of services are public, and the results are pretty good.

Though I'll admit much of that success might be attributable to lifestyle factors -- all Med Euro countries are placed very high in WHO rankings.

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 29, 2013, 07:16:45 PM
:rolleyes: Germany doesn't have single payer.  The UK does, and it is known as the worst health care system in the western world.
:rolleyes:  Of course Germany has (effectively) single-payer.  The Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung have traditionally been collected/paid by non-profit government-established organizations at rates set by the state (Lander), with optout provisions for those who want to (and can) pay for their own insurance).  Everyone has to have coverage, by law, and the government provides it for those who cannot contribute through the normal non-profits.

The British system has its problems, but I don't think anyone with a pulse would rate it worse than Bushcare (which provids no coverage at all for about 1/6 of the legal population).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The ability to opt out or supplement is consistent with the concept of single payer.
The UK is both single payer (government is primary and universal payer) and single provider (government in primary provider of health care resources).  It is the single provider provisions of the UK system that typically are highlighted for criticism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

CNN showed quite a bit of footage of the Sibelius hearing.  She was excellent I thought.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 12:00:02 PM
CNN showed quite a bit of footage of the Sibelius hearing.  She was excellent I thought.

Of course, she's a civil service executive. They excel at bullshit. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I didn't hear any bullshit from her. :mellow:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 12:00:02 PM

In what respect?  (Did not see)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2013, 04:11:45 PM
In what respect?  (Did not see)

Calm, cool, informative, responsive.  Apologetic but not sock-sucking.  Accepted ultimate responsibility.  Resisted the temptation to bus under-throw.

She did blurt out the name of the underling (contractor?) in charge of the program at one point, but rode right over it and emphasized right after that she bore responsibility.

11B4V

and she should be fired...err moved as they call it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Just heard on CNN that the favorable rating for Obamacare actually edged up during Glitchgate.

To 44%.  :huh:

Which makes me suspect that the oft-repeated refrain about the overwhelming popularity of Obamacare was bunkum.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 05:41:58 PM
Which makes me suspect that the oft-repeated refrain about the overwhelming popularity of Obamacare was bunkum.
:blink: Who has ever said it's overwhelmingly popular?

QuoteJust heard on CNN that the favorable rating for Obamacare actually edged up during Glitchgate.
It climbed to the low-40s during the shutdown - which was another sign of how counter-productive that was for Republicans.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Just heard on CNN that the favorable rating for Obamacare actually edged up during Glitchgate.

Whereas NBC/WSJ have him at a low.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/30/21252250-nbcwsj-poll-obama-approval-sinks-to-new-low?lite
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

I can't think of a Democrat who has *not* talked about its popularity.

DGuller

I'd be curious to see how these poll questions are phrased.  There is a lot of gray area with things like "I'm happy that I can finally get insurance to treat my diabetes, lung cancer, and cardiac arrest, but I don't think there should be an individual mandate".

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 05:52:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

I can't think of a Democrat who has *not* talked about its popularity.
I can't really recall those claims, and they would fly in the face of known reality long before you caught that CNN poll.  What I do recall is claims that majority of Americans want to move on, and not keep trying to repeal Obamacare.