Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Goldsboro NC...well, two outta three ain't bad

Started by CountDeMoney, September 20, 2013, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

And what else do they put in the middle of nowhere? :hmm:

In fairness, obviously I'd still be pretty likely dead in the event of a first strike.  Columbia is a government center and hosts an important military base.  I'd be double-dead in the event of a second countervalue strike, because Columbia is a government center, hosts an important military base, and is a major population center.  SC in general would be pretty heavily targeted because of Charleston's port facilities, the Savannah River Site, and the nuclear reactors (although we'd be somewhat less priority than during the Cold War, when we had an SSBN base).

But at least I don't have a Minuteman III in my back yard.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

The Brain

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on September 20, 2013, 07:11:38 PM
BTW, it is no accident that the book limits itself to incidents between 1950 and 1968.  I can attest to the fact that the underestimation of the risks in 1950 had been corrected by 1968 (though I, obviously, went to the school many years later).  Even in the early '80s, though, learning what was going on at the dawn of nuclear weapons deployment was scary stuff.

Wow, this all is very scary stuff, agreed. Nations with nukes during those times appear to have averted disaster by luck in so many cases. 

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2013, 01:49:34 AM
Show of hands: who ever did duck and cover drills in school?

I'm sure I did the drills but I don't remember much about doing them.

Caliga

I don't remember having to do them at all.  We did have to do a few tornado drills (like maybe once a year) which we all made jokes about, since tornadoes in eastern Pennsylvania are very rare.

Ironically, like 10 years ago a tornado actually directly hit the school. :lol:  It was an F0 so it mainly broke windows and stuff.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points