The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

This is going to be more exciting than the MLB pennant races!

QuoteGovernment shutdown moves closer to reality
By Lori Montgomery and Paul Kane, washingtonpost.com Updated: Tuesday, September 17, 9:07 PM

The threat of a government shutdown intensified Tuesday as House Republican leaders moved toward stripping funding from President Obama's landmark health-care initiative and setting up a stalemate with the Democratic Senate.

House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) had hoped to keep the government open past Sept. 30 with relatively little fuss. But roughly 40 conservatives revolted. After a strategy session Tuesday, Boehner and his leadership team were being pushed into a more confrontational strategy that would fund the government into the new fiscal year only if Democrats agreed to undermine Obama's signature legislative achievement.

Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) have ruled that out, leaving the parties hurtling toward an apparent impasse.

In less than two weeks — with the nation at war and authorities investigating a mass shooting at Washington's Navy Yard — every federal agency from the Pentagon to the FBI is due to shut down unless Congress can reach an agreement. A shutdown would not only disrupt critical government services but also whip up a panic just as lawmakers confront the next major deadline on their fall calendar: the need to raise the $16.7 trillion federal debt limit.

Congressional Budget Office director Douglas Elmendorf said Tuesday that the Treasury Department is likely to run out of cash to pay its bills "sometime between late October and mid-November," confirming independent estimates. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew has so far been vague about that deadline, telling Congress only that he would exhaust his ability to juggle the books by mid-October.

Despite the risk of widespread economic turmoil, political leaders have yet to begin talks to resolve the impasse. Obama has repeatedly said he would not negotiate over the debt limit, arguing that it is the responsibility of Congress to make sure the Treasury can pay bills incurred by past Congresses. Last month, the White House and a group of Senate Republicans agreed to suspend discussions about a broader budget deal.

Meanwhile, both Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have said it's up to the House to make the first move to keep the government open. Reid on Tuesday called on Boehner to resist "this relentless obstruction . . . led and directed by the tea party."

"None of the Republicans are willing to stand up to these anarchists," Reid told reporters. Of the law known as Obamacare, he added: "They're obsessed with a bill that passed four years ago, a bill that was declared constitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States. They can't get over that."

Even many Republicans have expressed frustration with the right wing's fixation on the health-care law, which is intended to make insurance affordable to millions of additional Americans. People are due to begin signing up with new state-run insurance exchanges Oct. 1 and will be eligible for new federal subsidies in 2014.

Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) and a band of House conservatives are leading the charge to block implementation of the law, along with outside groups such as Heritage Action for America and the Club for Growth. On Tuesday, the conservative editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, which is influential in the GOP, urged them to stand down.

"The problem is that Mr. Obama is never, ever going to unwind his signature legacy project of national health care. Ideology aside, it would end his Presidency politically," the paper wrote. It warned that voters may well blame Republicans for a shutdown given that "the repeal-or-bust crowd provoked the confrontation."

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), a strong supporter of the defund strategy, dismissed the criticism, which has also come from senior Republican lawmakers and strategists.

"All that really matters is what my district wants," Massie said. "And my district is overwhelmingly in favor of my position."

Upon returning to Washington after a long weekend at home, Boehner and his leadership team met for an hour Tuesday afternoon in the Capitol. Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said in a statement that no decisions about strategy "have been made, or will be made, until House Republican members meet and talk tomorrow" morning.

But other participants in the meeting said it became clear that a government-funding plan unveiled last week by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), which would have avoided a showdown over Obamacare, could not rally enough GOP votes.

"It was not [well] received in the conference," said Rep. Steve Southerland II (R-Fla.), who attended Tuesday's meeting representing the massive freshman class of Republicans elected in 2010. Instead, Southerland said, GOP leaders were leaning toward satisfying their right wing, fully aware that such a move would invite rejection in the Senate.

The Senate, then, would be likely to respond with its own funding plan that jettisoned the anti-Obamacare provisions. Senate Democrats could also make other changes, such as rolling back some of the automatic spending cuts, known as the sequester, that Republicans view as their most significant recent legislative achievement.

That would leave the House to make an eleventh-hour decision: Swallow the Senate's changes or shut the government down.

"I wouldn't stow away our ping-pong paddles," Southerland quipped grimly.

As the wrangling continued, people in both parties worried that House Republicans would prove unable to unite around any strategy, leaving the nation's fiscal well-being at risk.

Razgovory

I wanna see if the Anti-Obama fanatics really have the balls the suicide bomb the government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 11:01:50 PM
Again? :yawn:

Ditto.  But hey, it helps Seedy get out of bed in the morning, so I'll play along.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2013, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 11:01:50 PM
Again? :yawn:

Ditto.  But hey, it helps Seedy get out of bed in the morning, so I'll play along.

You really can be quite sweet. Now if only you didn't hate women. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

But hey, it helps Seedy get out of bed in the morning, so I'll play along.

Come on, the government shutdown will be more fun to watch than another mass shooting.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2013, 12:33:50 AM
But hey, it helps Seedy get out of bed in the morning, so I'll play along.

Come on, the government shutdown will be more fun to watch than another mass shooting.

If it were not for the debt ceiling I would be happy to see them shutdown government.  Maybe it would jolt some of the house members into reality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM
This is going to be more exciting than the MLB pennant races!

Ok, but does it beat washing one's hair?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

mongers

How often before has a leading world power pissed away it's hegemony this quickly?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 12:20:33 AM
I love women a hell of a lot more than you do :contract:

There is a difference between lust and love.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2013, 08:42:51 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2013, 08:28:38 AM
How often before has a leading world power pissed away it's hegemony this quickly?

:lol:

I don't really understand the glee from mongers, if he thinks that is true.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2013, 08:28:38 AM

How is this relevant?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?