The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:11:54 PMIs there any concievable point at which the narrative switches from "the Republicans are holding the rest of the government hostage to kill Obamacare" to "the Democrats are holding the rest of the government hostage to keep Obamacare?"

You mean with conditions as they are now? No.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2013, 01:21:23 PM
Am I correct in understanding that the reason for the shutdown is, in part, due to Boehner using the Hastert rule to prevent a resolution going to the floor for a vote?

Somebody posted in the thread earlier that the Hastert rule hasn't been invoked by anybody, I believe.

Which I then had to look up to find out what "rule" was being referred to; at which point I discovered that Boehner seems to have broken this so-called "Hastert rule" more times than his immediate predecessors put together. So I don't think a rule of dubious procedural merit is holding him back from ignoring the minority of his party and making a deal. I'm not 100% certain what is, though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:11:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 01:03:07 PM
As long as parks are closed, Republicans have to deal with the fact that it's a sitting law that requires funding.

Is there any concievable point at which the narrative switches from "the Republicans are holding the rest of the government hostage to kill Obamacare" to "the Democrats are holding the rest of the government hostage to keep Obamacare?"

Yes. When Congress and the President - whomever they may be - stops Obamacare from being a law.

Until then? No.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2013, 01:28:55 PM
Yi, the question was asked and answered, repeatedly.  You don't get to pick and choose which laws and obligation you don't mind funding.  You're getting really close to the Raz territory now.

Shoo.  Let the grown ups talk.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:11:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 01:03:07 PM
As long as parks are closed, Republicans have to deal with the fact that it's a sitting law that requires funding.

Is there any concievable point at which the narrative switches from "the Republicans are holding the rest of the government hostage to kill Obamacare" to "the Democrats are holding the rest of the government hostage to keep Obamacare?"

The Republicans hope there is.

But realistically, no.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:22:21 PMMaybe because nowhere in your quite clear spelling out do you explain how opening or closing parks affects anything.

As DGuller says:
Yi, the question was asked and answered, repeatedly.  You don't get to pick and choose which laws and obligation you don't mind funding.

Because:
Quote from: JacobIt essentially destroys the American system of governance as a functional entity.

Viking

ok, to get a clarification, is the technical obstacle the failure of a house resolution or is it the unwillingness of the speaker to put such a resolution to a vote?

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:29:47 PM
Yi, the question was asked and answered, repeatedly.  You don't get to pick and choose which laws and obligation you don't mind funding.  You're getting really close to the Raz territory now.

When it comes to this subject, it would be a very boring conversation, since they would all hold one view.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:29:47 PM

:huh:

I don't think DG is the one acting childish here.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2013, 01:31:22 PM
ok, to get a clarification, is the technical obstacle the failure of a house resolution or is it the unwillingness of the speaker to put such a resolution to a vote?

As I understand it, Boehner could put a house resolution to a vote this moment and it would pass.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 01:31:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:22:21 PMMaybe because nowhere in your quite clear spelling out do you explain how opening or closing parks affects anything.

As DGuller says:
Yi, the question was asked and answered, repeatedly.  You don't get to pick and choose which laws and obligation you don't mind funding.

Because:
Quote from: JacobIt essentially destroys the American system of governance as a functional entity.

I am unaware of anything in either the Constitution or Congress' internal rules that states an existing program must be funded.

If there were we wouldn't be having this conversation.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:33:54 PM

I am unaware of anything in either the Constitution or Congress' internal rules that states an existing program must be funded.

So you're okay with our government going this route in future? For anything?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:33:54 PMI am unaware of anything in either the Constitution or Congress' internal rules that states an existing program must be funded.

Is your argument that the Republicans actions are legal according to the Constitution and follow Congress' internal rules? Because if you are, you won't get anyone disagreeing with you.

Or are you arguing that the Republicans are not undermining the ability of the American government to function if they get their way? Because if you are, we are in disagreement.

I'll also note that you initially questioned the reasoning behind the position that the Republicans are acting irresponsible by holding the government and US economy hostage, and thus they cannot be given in to; you were not asking about the legality.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 12:54:32 PM
This republican offer is the equivalent of Austria-Hungary issuing the ultimatum to Serbia but offering a non-aggression pact with Russia.  Why shouldn't Imperial Russia agree to at least a partial peace deal?  They at least get partial pace.

Indeed. And if you refuse such an offer, then clearly you are not someone who cares about peace.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 01:36:08 PM
So you're okay with our government going this route in future? For anything?

No I'm not.  I prefer the government stay open.  I would like to see Obamacare funded.*  The Republicans have launched a suicidal gambit that I expect to bit them in the ass.

All that being said, I still think parks being open is better than parks being closed.

*I would prefer they got rid of the voodoo bullshit that "funded" half of Obamacare originally and replaced it with real money.