The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I meant why should the democrats give the that power.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2013, 01:56:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 01:50:25 PM
Apparently not.

??

I just mean that their recent attempt hasn't really gotten them far, and has instead resulted in a great deal of angst for hundreds of thousands of people instead. It may be Constitutional, but it's not getting them very far.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

sbr

But there are many people saying the dems are the bad guys,  or obstructionists, for not letting them.   That is what I was commenting on.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on October 03, 2013, 02:10:59 PM
But there are many people saying the dems are the bad guys,  or obstructionists, for not letting them.   That is what I was commenting on.

They say that because they have no other choice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Not like they were accomplishing anything anyway.  :P

QuoteLive: Gunshots near Capitol temporarily locks down Congress

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/politics/capitol-shots-fired-developments/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

:blink:

QuoteRandy Neugebauer slams memorial ranger
By LUCY MCCALMONT | 10/3/13 12:57 PM EDT

With tensions growing over the shutdown, a Texas lawmaker confronted a park ranger outside the National World War II Memorial, saying National Park Service "should be ashamed" for putting up barricades, preventing veterans from entering.

"How do you look at at them and say— how do you deny them access? I don't get that," Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas) asked the ranger, in footage filmed by NBC Washington on Wednesday.

"Well, it should be difficult," Neugebauer said.

"It is difficult, I'm sorry sir," the ranger said.

Neugebauer was part of a large group of lawmakers and civilians that gathered at the memorial on Wednesday after reports Tuesday that the site had been barricaded as a result of the shutdown. As he continued to address the ranger, he pushed further, attacking NPS, which oversees access to the memorial sites.

"Park Service should be ashamed of themselves."

"I'm not ashamed," the ranger replied.

"Well, you should be," the lawmaker said before walking away and being confronted by a bystander in the area.

The bystander at the site said he, too, was a federal employee who was out of work, and the park ranger was "doing her job." Neugebauer put blame on Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) for the unemployment.

"Well, the reason you are is because Mr. Reid decided to shut down the government," Neugebauer told the man.

"No, it's because the government won't do its job and pass a budget," the bicyclist responded.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Seems like the Republicans have a plan for countering any potential backlash at the polls from the shutdown. Remove campaign contributions completely: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court_n_4037577.html

Jacob

It seems like Obamacare is popular with at least some people:

QuoteFor Xerox's (XRX) Kevin Walsh, "10/1," as he calls this past Tuesday, was years in the making. Walsh is the managing director of a division of Xerox that's working with states on the insurance exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act, and Oct. 1 was the day all of them went live. I checked in with him to see how the first few days of the exchange went in Nevada, where the company both runs the technology that underpins the website and operates the call centers that field queries from the public.

When the exchange opened—17 minutes later than the 8 a.m. scheduled start time—the website and call centers were flooded with inquiries. Walsh said that in the first few hours"it was just raw emotion calling in." People eager for insurance, at times in tears, wanted to get coverage that they didn't have before. "They were calling up saying, 'Can I get my coverage today so I can see my doctor this afternoon?'" he says. "That is in one sense moving but also frustrating because, sure, you can sign up—but the coverage can't be effective until Jan. 1."

Walsh says his team has been working around the clock, so much so that on Wednesday he sent one of his development managers home to take a nap. "He didn't want to quit, but his brain wasn't working anymore," Walsh says.

The rest of the article here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-03/people-are-calling-this-obamacare-insurance-exchange-in-tears#r=recent

mongers

Is this true? :

Al Jazeera's Kimberley Halkett, reporting from Washington DC, said that the officers who responded to the White House security scare were not being paid because of a government shutdown.

She said that the shutdown might have reduced the security presence around Capitol Hill.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I assume so.  DC city government shuts down when feds shut down.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2013, 07:12:35 PM

Is this true? :

Al Jazeera's Kimberley Halkett, reporting from Washington DC, said that the officers who responded to the White House security scare were not being paid because of a government shutdown.

She said that the shutdown might have reduced the security presence around Capitol Hill.

Technically they are being paid. They may just not get it when they normally would.

and to the last line. No, they're exempted most likely.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Anywho the running joke is we (exempted) would be paid, but they furloughed they pay people  :lol: . So, we end up getting the short end of the stick.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 06:26:47 PM
Seems like the Republicans have a plan for countering any potential backlash at the polls from the shutdown. Remove campaign contributions completely: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court_n_4037577.html
Campaign contribution limits.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.