News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

JIB in the News

Started by alfred russel, September 17, 2013, 11:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2013, 12:52:25 PM

Without the benefit of the trial record, one would have to speculate.  However, if the parking area is on JiB owned or leased premises, and JiB failed to follow its own SOPs in say informing the police about disrurptive activites on the premises, then they could potentially be on the hook.

Thanks, Minsky. That's what I assumed, but it still seems like a really high amount for the amount of their involvement (or lack thereof).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:05:52 PM

Without the benefit of the trial record, one would have to speculate.  However, if the parking area is on JiB owned or leased premises, and JiB failed to follow its own SOPs in say informing the police about disrurptive activites on the premises, then they could potentially be on the hook.

Thanks, Minsky. That's what I assumed, but it still seems like a really high amount for the amount of their involvement (or lack thereof).

If they are found to be liable the amount is determined by the measure of damage which has nothing to do with JIB and everything to do with the extent of the injuries suffered by the Plaintiff,  his cost of future care and JIB's apportioned share of those damages (based on their percentage of liability not dollar figures).

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:05:52 PM

I assume it's an outcome caused by 'joint and several liability'.

In some (most?) jurisdictions, if a bunch of folks are guilty of causing damage, the court will assign or apportion liability to everyone so found. However, the responsibility to pay is ultimately the group of tortfeasors as a whole - meaning if someone can't pick up their "share" of the "tab", everyone else has to.

In this case, obviously the lion's share of responsibility belongs to the punks who did the beating. Thing is, these punks very likely have no money. They certainly are unlikely to have $20 million lying about.

JiB has the deep pockets, so even if they are only 1% liable, they end up footing more or less the entire bill aside from the percentage assigned to the plaintiff himself, simply because they are the only ones who can pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_and_several_liability
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2013, 03:19:47 PM

I assume it's an outcome caused by 'joint and several liability'.

In some (most?) jurisdictions, if a bunch of folks are guilty of causing damage, the court will assign or apportion liability to everyone so found. However, the responsibility to pay is ultimately the group of tortfeasors as a whole - meaning if someone can't pick up their "share" of the "tab", everyone else has to.

In this case, obviously the lion's share of responsibility belongs to the punks who did the beating. Thing is, these punks very likely have no money. They certainly are unlikely to have $20 million lying about.

JiB has the deep pockets, so even if they are only 1% liable, they end up footing more or less the entire bill aside from the percentage assigned to the plaintiff himself, simply because they are the only ones who can pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_and_several_liability

Thanks, Malthus. That clarifies it for me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

That's a law that needs to change.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

It's bullshit.  It's unjust.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:32:21 PM
That's a law that needs to change.

From the wiki article:

QuoteOpponents of the principle of joint and several liability note that its use (instead of proportionate responsibility) has led to cases in which a party with a very minor part of the responsibility unfairly shoulders the burden of damages. The classic example is the uninsured drunk driver who injures someone; the plaintiff will sue both the insolvent drunk driver and the state highway department (or automobile manufacturer), hoping to hold the latter 1% or 2% responsible, thereby forcing them to pay the entire award. Joint and several liability, reform supporters argue, leads to lawyers searching for "deep pockets" to sue (in the expectation that they will settle rather than risk trial), even though those defendants may only be remotely related to an incident.

The original notion was that the plaintiff should not have the burden of litigating proportions of liability among tortfeasors (under joint & several, the tortfeasors have that burden among themselves). However, obviously, J & S now results in a hunt for someone, anyone, with deep pockets to have even some trifling responsibility.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:36:57 PM

Anything that could possibly harm a business is unjust in your book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:36:57 PM

Concur.  Joint and several is terrible.  It's radically unfair.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Missouri is a UCATA state, and tort damages are several only unless the defendant is more than 50% at fault.

So either the jury found a huge amount of damages, and the $20 million is a fraction of that, or JiB was found to be more than 51% at fault.  Either seems odd, but when you go to a jury, you takes your chances.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

They should have had a JIB employee swing by and shoot him in the head.

What's the present discounted cost of Ali Aziz' life?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2013, 03:43:24 PM

You've been trying now for about eight years to convince others, or possibly myself, that I am so hopelessly biased that my opinions are meaningless.  By my estimation your success has been scant.  That might be a signal to you to re-evaluate either the ends you are seeking, or the means you are employing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:49:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2013, 03:43:24 PM

You've been trying now for about eight years to convince others, or possibly myself, that I am so hopelessly biased that my opinions are meaningless.  By my estimation your success has been scant.  That might be a signal to you to re-evaluate either the ends you are seeking, or the means you are employing.

But I haven't.  I'm just amused by your predictability.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2013, 03:46:34 PM
Missouri is a UCATA state, and tort damages are several only unless the defendant is more than 50% at fault.

So either the jury found a huge amount of damages, and the $20 million is a fraction of that, or JiB was found to be more than 51% at fault.  Either seems odd, but when you go to a jury, you takes your chances.

Okay, now *that* doesn't make any freaking sense.  :lol: