8 Year old girl is raped to death by middle aged man her parents sold her to.

Started by Viking, September 10, 2013, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM
The story, of course is terrible.

The only good thing I can think to say is that even in Yemen and Afghanistan child marriages are "controversial" at best.  They are also countries with extremely weak rule of law.  They are probably no more representative of the wider islamic world than the child marriages in Mormon polygamous communities are representative of the West.

http://www.girlsnotbrides.org/country/yemen/

QuoteUNICEF 2012 % MARRIED BY 15

11%

So you are comparing an activity which is illegal in the US and conducted by a few hundred people with an activity which is legal in yemen and happens to at least 11% of all girls?

You are comparing 1,000,000 women just in yemen to the FLDS and the followers of the scumbag and rapist Warren Jeffs?

(how did I get 1 million? the population of yemen is over 20 million now and 11% of the half of 20 million is more than 1 million)

So it is much much much much much more representative of the wider islamic world, at least, yemen, than the FLDS is of the west. We are talking 4 orders of magnitude here.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2013, 03:27:11 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:26:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 03:14:10 PM
When these laws are demanded to be in affect in the US or Canada, you'll have an argument against multiculturalism. Until then, I accept that there is good in bad in every culture, and I will be happy to accept the good.

So you think it is ok for little girls to be married off and raped at 8? Seriously, this is ok if their culture says it is ok?

This is how you get the rotten idea that for the most part only countries where human rights are respected get condemned for human rights abuse by anybody other than the US State Department and the better international human rights groups.

That isn't what she said.  :lol:

Seriously.

That is the consequence of what she said. It would matter to her if it came to her home, but as long as it is in third world shitholistan then she's all for cultural tolerance.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

No Puff, I think you got it totally wrong.

I believe the part you are missing is that she already condemns child marriage-rape, but doesn't consider that part of multiculturalism(tm) since it isn't practiced in the West, i.e. the zone in which multiculturalism has relevance.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2013, 03:27:11 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:26:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 03:14:10 PM
When these laws are demanded to be in affect in the US or Canada, you'll have an argument against multiculturalism. Until then, I accept that there is good in bad in every culture, and I will be happy to accept the good.

So you think it is ok for little girls to be married off and raped at 8? Seriously, this is ok if their culture says it is ok?

This is how you get the rotten idea that for the most part only countries where human rights are respected get condemned for human rights abuse by anybody other than the US State Department and the better international human rights groups.

That isn't what she said.  :lol:

Seriously.

That is the consequence of what she said. It would matter to her if it came to her home, but as long as it is in third world shitholistan then she's all for cultural tolerance.

That, too, isn't what she said, or the consequence of what she said.

What she said was that the vileness of this practice isn't evidence against "multiculturalism" in the US, unless people try to legally import it there. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Of course it is. This is their culture. This is the argument used to defend the practice by those who practice it, and, in effect, the argument used to condone it by those who benefit from living in a culture where this doesn't happen.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:58:53 PM
Of course it is. This is their culture. This is the argument used to defend the practice by those who practice it, and, in effect, the argument used to condone it by those who benefit from living in a culture where this doesn't happen.

Um, no it isn't. At least as the vast majority view "multiculturalism". Can't speak for Meri, but the vast majority of non-extremists have no problem saying that people are perfectly welcome tto import and practice their cultural norms here, such as wearing a funny hat, eating funny food, or talking funny, as long as they obey the laws of our society - meaning no raping, no murdering, no cannibalism, etc. Hence, they are welcome to practice "the good" (or at least "the not-evil"), but they must leave "the bad" at the border. 

You are suffering a case of grallon-itis, defined as an inability to respond to the argument actually made.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:42:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM
The story, of course is terrible.

The only good thing I can think to say is that even in Yemen and Afghanistan child marriages are "controversial" at best.  They are also countries with extremely weak rule of law.  They are probably no more representative of the wider islamic world than the child marriages in Mormon polygamous communities are representative of the West.

http://www.girlsnotbrides.org/country/yemen/

QuoteUNICEF 2012 % MARRIED BY 15

11%

So you are comparing an activity which is illegal in the US and conducted by a few hundred people with an activity which is legal in yemen and happens to at least 11% of all girls?

You are comparing 1,000,000 women just in yemen to the FLDS and the followers of the scumbag and rapist Warren Jeffs?

(how did I get 1 million? the population of yemen is over 20 million now and 11% of the half of 20 million is more than 1 million)

So it is much much much much much more representative of the wider islamic world, at least, yemen, than the FLDS is of the west. We are talking 4 orders of magnitude here.

I did say "the wider islamic world", and not just Yemen.

Your link is interesting, as it links to a bunch of different countries.  Almost all of which have very low rates of child marriage.  Afghanistan, predictably, is horribly at a 15% rate under the age of 15.  Saudi Arabia though has no data, and a couple of links showing the Saudi government cracking down on it.  War-torn iraq is at 3%.  Egypt 2%.  Indonesia 4%.  Algeria 1%. Turkey 3%.

So clearly child marriage is more of a problem in the arab world than it is in the west.  But in both places it is in the minority.  Even in conservative Saudi Arabia they don't generally support child marriages.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 03:43:49 PMThat is the consequence of what she said. It would matter to her if it came to her home, but as long as it is in third world shitholistan then she's all for cultural tolerance.

:lmfao:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2013, 04:06:57 PM

Um, no it isn't. At least as the vast majority view "multiculturalism". Can't speak for Meri, but the vast majority of non-extremists have no problem saying that people are perfectly welcome tto import and practice their cultural norms here, such as wearing a funny hat, eating funny food, or talking funny, as long as they obey the laws of our society - meaning no raping, no murdering, no cannibalism, etc. Hence, they are welcome to practice "the good" (or at least "the not-evil"), but they must leave "the bad" at the border. 

I suppose the Quebec stance would be that the bits in bold are just parts/signifiers of "the bad."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2013, 04:06:57 PM

I suppose the Quebec stance would be that the bits in bold are just parts/signifiers of "the bad."

Yup.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 02:47:48 PM
Yup.  I'd like to hear what my old "multiculturalism at any cost" Sociology prof would have had to say about this.

I'm unclear what "multiculturalism" has to to do with this.  I wasn't aware that Yemen was a multiculturalist society.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Viking's insistence that allowing Quebecois Sikhs to wear turbans will lead to a significant increase in the rape and murder of eight year old girls is easily disproven by examining actual facts.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on September 10, 2013, 02:27:13 PM
More 3rd World charms for the fans of multiculturalism *sneer*

G.

An odd statement.  Surely the Yemenis would argue that this is part of their native culture, not them accepting the foreign culture of some immigrants.  Besides, I thought you were pro-child rape.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017