Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
I think I went to like 3 of the lectures and did maybe 25% of the reading. :sleep:

:blink: Why...would...you....

I just do not get people who pay shitloads to take a class and never show up.

For the credits.

Yeah, I never quite understood that attitude.  For me university was an amazing experience that opened up whole new areas of thought I never even suspected existed.   I took more courses than I needed to graduate simply because I wanted to learn as much as possible.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2013, 10:15:01 AM
Yeah, I never quite understood that attitude.  For me university was an amazing experience that opened up whole new areas of thought I never even suspected existed.   I took more courses than I needed to graduate simply because I wanted to learn as much as possible.
Agreed.

CountDeMoney

I always had a blast;  even in classes I got miserable grades in, I still learned.

And now that I'm going back, I'm having even a bigger blast.  I remember being younger, classmates rolling their eyes at the engaged older students in the back, always raising their hands, always participating; now that I'm That Guy, I hope I drive the little shits crazier.  Hell, even relationships with professors are different when you're older;  they take a different attitude with you, and I've maintained positive correspondences with them, even with a couple I had from more than 10 years ago.  I ever need academic references, I've got plenty to choose from.

Shit, classes don't start for me tomorrow, and I've already got a head start on the readings for next week.  Never would've done that when I was 19, or even 29.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 10:23:21 AM
I always had a blast;  even in classes I got miserable grades in, I still learned.

And now that I'm going back, I'm having even a bigger blast.  I remember being younger, classmates rolling their eyes at the engaged older students in the back, always raising their hands, always participating; now that I'm That Guy, I hope I drive the little shits crazier.  Hell, even relationships with professors are different when you're older;  they take a different attitude with you, and I've maintained positive correspondences with them, even with a couple I had from more than 10 years ago.  I ever need academic references, I've got plenty to choose from.

Shit, classes don't start for me tomorrow, and I've already got a head start on the readings for next week.  Never would've done that when I was 19, or even 29.

:yes:

I absolutely love my classes now. They make me crazy(ier) because I tend toward the nervous if things aren't well organized, but I love them. I would give up a lot to go back to school full time, but for now, I'll take the two classes I'm in and run with them.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
I think I went to like 3 of the lectures and did maybe 25% of the reading. :sleep:

:blink: Why...would...you....

I just do not get people who pay shitloads to take a class and never show up.

For the credits.

There were classes that were mandatory and shitty. I skipped them after they seemed to offer nothing of interest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

If you are just taking it for the credits or because it is mandatory that seems reckless.  I mean you either need or want an A in this stupid class so why would you risk it by skipping class?  I had to take this retarded theatre class but I damn made sure I was there to hear about Lesbian theatre rejecting patriarchal structures like characters and plots and scripts in their bold efforts to make theatre as shitty as possible.  Because when a class is that stupid I would hate myself forever if I do not get an A.

Cal got lucky though but man...that was ballsy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 10:51:46 AM
If you are just taking it for the credits or because it is mandatory that seems reckless.  I mean you either need or want an A in this stupid class so why would you risk it by skipping class?  I had to take this retarded theatre class but I damn made sure I was there to hear about Lesbian theatre rejecting patriarchal structures like characters and plots and scripts in their bold efforts to make theatre as shitty as possible.  Because when a class is that stupid I would hate myself forever if I do not get an A.

I skipped lectures sometimes.  I was confident enough that I could learn the material without attending the lectures, and being bored for two hours straight comes at a cost as well.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 10:51:46 AM

Well one, you might not care - as who will know? Also in many cases, it wasn't necessary to attend lectures to get a good grade.  When I took sociology of culture, I ended with an A- despite not buying the course reader or attending any lectures (after the first couple weeks).  Similarly when I took the intro to stats class, it met 5 times a week with one of those days been an open note, open book exam. Professor would had out lecture notes for the upcoming week on the day of the exam. I would go on exam days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2013, 10:55:53 AM
I skipped lectures sometimes.  I was confident enough that I could learn the material without attending the lectures, and being bored for two hours straight comes at a cost as well.

Since I went back to school in 2009 I can count my missed lectures on zero hands.  But, granted, I am well aware I have alot riding on this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2013, 10:56:37 AM

Well one, you might not care - as who will know? Also in many cases, it wasn't necessary to attend lectures to get a good grade.  When I took sociology of culture, I ended with an A- despite not buying the course reader or attending any lectures (after the first couple weeks).  Similarly when I took the intro to stats class, it met 5 times a week with one of those days been an open note, open book exam. Professor would had out lecture notes for the upcoming week on the day of the exam. I would go on exam days.

I still have nightmares because I did that kind of thing. :ph34r: Kid you not, I'll wake up in a cold sweat, absolutely certain that I skipped an entire semester of lectures, only to show up on the last day to take a final that I knew nothing about.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 10:57:24 AM

Since I went back to school in 2009 I can count my missed lectures on zero hands.  But, granted, I am well aware I have alot riding on this.
In the big scheme of things, if occasionally you turn an A into A- or B+ because you skipped some lectures, it's not really a big deal.  If you always drop down a grade because you skip lectures, then obviously you really shouldn't be skipping lectures.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 10:57:24 AM

I've missed half of one lecture. It was my Intro to Comp Sci class, and I hated the professor. He spent the first half of the lecture telling us that the reason that we'd done so poorly on the last exam was because we obviously hadn't done any work. Mind you, he refused to give us our tests back in order to see what we got wrong, and he refused to give us our marks (they weren't put into the system for another month), but he ranted at us for 20 minutes about how stupid we were.

I walked out during the break before I said something that I would regret. :glare:

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I never quite understood that attitude.  For me university was an amazing experience that opened up whole new areas of thought I never even suspected existed.

I got that from books. Unlike lectures, you could pursue a tangent train of thought and then pick up where you left off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
In the big scheme of things, if occasionally you turn an A into A- or B+ because you skipped some lectures, it's not really a big deal.  If you always drop down a grade because you skip lectures, then obviously you really shouldn't be skipping lectures.

Well to be fair in my case that theatre class was the only class I probably could have skipped.  The other easy class I had was Rhetoric but for obvious reasons that one had a huge class participation segment.  Everything else has been pretty intense, at one class last semester I even fretted for my career at one point before rallying for a 'B'.  Since I already had a degree I already had most of the intro classes.

First day of class for me today BTW.  10 hours + two toddlers + working fulltime.  No freetime between here and December.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 11:06:47 AM
First day of class for me today BTW.  10 hours + two toddlers + working fulltime.  No freetime between here and December.

Tell me about it;  I have to pack, store, move, repair, and paint--all within the next 6 weeks.