Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2013, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2013, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 11:21:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 11:11:40 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 11:10:45 AM
Is this a second Bachelor's for you, Valmy?

Yep.  Somehow that history degree was not propelling me forward in the work force.

You know, I ran into the same problem! Who knew?!  :o

I knew.   :showoff:

Despite being a big history nerd, I knew a history degree would be fairly useless...

So now you're doomed to repeat yourself.

Despite being a big history nerd, I knew a history degree would be fairly useless...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I didn't study history because I had discovered that history research isn't done seriously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I should have become a nuclear engineer.  Well, okay, maybe not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

I knew as well.  How I got one was a story of total fail.  What I was trying to get was a Physics degree.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
Let me clarify.  Traditional history has been about reading and analyzing original documents.  That is pretty much wrapped up.  What are left are the overlapping/competing fields of archeology and anthropology.

I think we'll just have to disagree on that :)

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 03:35:51 PM

I knew as well.  How I got one was a story of total fail.  What I was trying to get was a Physics degree.

How do you get a history degree by accident?  :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2013, 04:03:00 PM

You don't get good enough grades to get into the program you actually want to get into. :whistle:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Savonarola

At my university a number of people started off in physics and ended up in the business school.  The usual route was Physics -> Electrical Engineering -> Computer Science -> Business. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on August 29, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

At my university a number of people started off in physics and ended up in the business school.  The usual route was Physics -> Electrical Engineering -> Computer Science -> Business. 

Wow, that is way more embarassing then just starting off in business to begin with...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I'm sympathetic.  If you set your sights high, but kinnae hack it, adjust down.

Ideologue

If only America were set up to do that, it'd be okay, too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 29, 2013, 03:35:04 PM

Wow, that is way more embarassing then just starting off in business to begin with...
Yeah, it's like a chronological series of pictures of someone who smoked meth.

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 03:35:51 PM

I took lots of history classes for fun.  Towards the end of my time there I suffered depression and burnout so I just left, I happened to have enough history classes for my history degree though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2013, 03:42:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 29, 2013, 03:35:04 PM

Yeah, it's like a chronological series of pictures of someone who smoked meth.

"Computer science" is the one lacking all teeth and with running facial sores, right?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius