Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2013, 07:43:46 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. Assad was gaining the upper hand, and the didn't some UN inspectors arrived to the country shortly before this? Only rebels could profit from this, so my money is on the Rebs doing the gassing.
How was he gaining the upper hand? From what I've read it was brutal, bloody stalemate. He wasn't going to be toppled, but he wasn't winning control.

Also there's no evidence it was the rebels. Except for what Russia and Assad are suggesting, which is implausible.

There's an oddity in our attitude here though - see Tim's savagery comment. The regime's so far killed around 100 000 people. HRW and AI have collected reports of systematic rape, torture and murder of children as a way of terrorising families and communities. But if that happens through conventional means, with a low-ish daily fatality rate it's not worth intervening on moral grounds. But suddenly it is? It's strange and I'm not sure it's a good way of thinking about it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2013, 04:17:55 PMAssad is basically calling the west's bluff and making it clear to the insurgents that now is the time to run away before he kills every last one of them.

Yep, either the Alawites win by carving out their own enclave or they get their throats slit by the Sunnis.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Tamas is just doing the usual Eastern European conspiracy thing, that's all.  What he doesn't understand is that guys like Assad will do anything to win, doesn't care how it's done and is totally insulated to the concept of criticism or international condemnation.

Ed Anger

According to the mirror, Obama has Airstrip One on board for a strike. I assume PM Hollandaise  is on board too. His poll numbers need it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2013, 04:47:52 PM
According to the mirror, Obama has Airstrip One on board for a strike. I assume PM Hollandaise  is on board too. His poll numbers need it.

He's actually the President of France, not the Prime Minister. Ayrault is the PM.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 25, 2013, 04:38:55 PM
How was he gaining the upper hand? From what I've read it was brutal, bloody stalemate. He wasn't going to be toppled, but he wasn't winning control.

Economist said things were going his way in the western Metro corridor, due in large part to the brave lads of the Shiite International Brigades.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 25, 2013, 05:18:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2013, 04:47:52 PM

He's actually the President of France, not the Prime Minister. Ayrault is the PM.

Lulz, the landed French nobleman just got LE PWN3D.

Ed Anger

We know how the UK's and France's contribution will be. The Brits will fire off 4 tomahawks, act like they won the war and then complain about being over stretched. France? Who the fuck knows. But they will act like they won the war and complain about not being in charge.

Admiral Yi

UK and France's contribution will be bupkus cuz that's what we're going to do.

Legbiter

Why do anything? You don't want the rebels to win. It would be nice if Assad dropped dead, maybe then you could get the factions to agree on a some kind of peace.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

To be serious, I'd bet 6quatloos that a small cruise missile strike, followed by John McCain having an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2013, 05:38:55 PM
To be serious, I'd bet 6quatloos that a small cruise missile strike, followed by John McCain having an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Deal

Sheilbh

I'd hope for nothing more than a relatively surgical strike.
Let's bomb Russia!