Investment bank intern dies after pulling three all nighters in a row

Started by Syt, August 20, 2013, 11:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2013, 12:14:01 AMI'm pretty sure that the bank will insist that no one, like, ever was forced to put in long hours, and that this is done purely voluntarily by their employees. ;)

Oooh, "voluntary" overtime, the bread and butter of the banking industry.  :lol:

A friend of mine who works for BBVA was told when he joined them that it was expected for people to "voluntarely" stay for a while almost every day, long after office hours ran out. Once when he was particulary busy he was still working at 22h, and a pop up message appeared in his computer telling him "It's already 10PM, maybe you should consider stopping working for the day and going back home".

derspiess

When I worked for First USA/Bank One (now Chase) back in the day, all the female managers in my department, save for one, showed up for work no earlier than 9:45am.  Then they'd go to the gym "during their lunch" around 12:30 or 1:00pm.  Once they got back, they'd head back out and spend an hour "running to get a bite to eat".  Then late afternoon they'd buckle down and get a solid hour or two of work in.  But they'd make it a point to loiter until around 7:00pm so they could tell everyone the next day how late they worked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

How effective can employees be with such little sleep? It's not exactly a job you can do on autopilot. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2013, 09:31:42 AM
When I worked for First USA/Bank One (now Chase) back in the day, all the female managers in my department, save for one, showed up for work no earlier than 9:45am.  Then they'd go to the gym "during their lunch" around 12:30 or 1:00pm.  Once they got back, they'd head back out and spend an hour "running to get a bite to eat".  Then late afternoon they'd buckle down and get a solid hour or two of work in.  But they'd make it a point to loiter until around 7:00pm so they could tell everyone the next day how late they worked.

Well yeah a bit different from investment banking. A bank just opened up on the ground floor of my office building and I only run into all their employees entering (who of course take the elevator to the 2nd floor...) on the rare times that I'm come in at 9:45-10.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2013, 03:24:52 AM
How on earth was an intern getting paid so much? They usually get nothing.

This kind of thing is common in Japan where  the code is work hard, not work smart. The longer  You spend in the office the better. I knew bankers over worked but not to this extent

Have you actually heard of investment banking? Your post suggests that you have not.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 09:35:18 AM
Well yeah a bit different from investment banking. A bank just opened up on the ground floor of my office building and I only run into all their employees entering (who of course take the elevator to the 2nd floor...) on the rare times that I'm come in at 9:45-10.

Yeah workign for an investment bank and working at a bank branch should not be confused :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Speaking of retail banking, bank teller seems to be the new burger flipper.  Every time I walk by the bank branch in my supermarket I see new faces behind the counter and they all look 14.

derspiess

To clarify, my example wasn't a bank branch.  It was in the marketing department of the credit card division.  But still a world away from investment banking.

Some of my old school retail bank clients have the classic banker's hours: open from 9:00am to 3:30pm, and they either close at noon or are closed altogether on Wednesdays.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2013, 09:31:42 AM

That, and there's a substantial difference between managers and interns, who are trying their damnedest to be future managers.

We had interns.  Told them to be at work at 8am;  any questions, I'll be there by 9.  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2013, 01:08:42 AM
There is no substitute for sleep. The oil industry has it right. If you didn't has 8 hours sleep (or at 8 hours in bed) you don't get to go to work.

Yeah that makes sense in an industry were you're actually doing something positive and productive for society. 

Investment bankers, who's especially giving a flying fuck about the whole tribe ?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"